27 inch iMac OS X 10.4.11: Software Upgrade

Discussion in 'macOS' started by datanggou, Apr 1, 2011.

1. datanggou macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I bought my iMac end of 2007 which is still running a 10.4.11. I have an old bootcamp running on it, too. I want to upgrade my iMac, but which version should I upgrade to? The newest 10.6.6 or 10.5.6 which I have on a MacBook Install DVD? Is it possible to use the Macbook dvd to upgrade it iMac sofware?

Secondly, if I do upgrade, what do I have to do to keep my Bootcamp partition safe and sound? Do I need to update my bootcamp first? If so, is that another purchase?

How do I know if my Bootcamp is up to date? My bootcamp assistant is 1.4 beta, but I may have updated the Bootcamp without it. Can't remember.

Any help will be appreciated!

2. simsaladimbamba, Apr 1, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2011

simsaladimbamba

The 27" iMac was released in 10/2009, when Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard was already available on all new Macs.
    You seem to have a 20" or 24" iMac, which can run Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard and you can buy, for 29 USD. The MBP's grey Restore DVD will not work, as it is model specific.

And Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard includes the newest Boot Camp version (3.x) which you can update via Apple.

3. jayhawk11 macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

You have to buy a standalone copy of Snow Leopard. The version that's on the MacBook restore discs is device specific.

You're probably going to need to replace your Boot Camp partition as it is up to Boot Camp 3.2 now.

4. chrfr macrumors 603

No. When you upgrade to 10.6, you just update the Windows drivers with that disc, but there's no reason or need to delete the existing Windows installation.

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

The newest version of MacOS X is MacOS X 10.6.7.

6. datanggou thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks y'all!

So I will buy the Snow Leopard then. And then use the bootcamp included to update my partition. Thanks a lot. $29 is actually not too costly considering it includes Bootcamp!

Thank you guys! What would I do without you!:D