27-Inch iMac Shipping Times Continue to Improve

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 18, 2010.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Several MacRumors readers have reported that Apple's shipping lead times for its 27-inch iMac models in its online stores have improved today, with the U.S. and Canada now seeing lead times of 5-7 business days instead of 2 weeks and European stores seeing improvement to 2 weeks from earlier 3-week estimates.

Apple has continued to face lengthy shipping times for its 27-inch iMac models, with the company claiming that the delays have stemmed from high demand. The company has also been struggling, however, with several issues related to the displays on the machines, including flickering and yellow tinting. The company has issued a pair of firmware updates to address the flickering issues for existing customers, while it apparently continues to investigate the tinting issues.

Article Link: 27-Inch iMac Shipping Times Continue to Improve

2. Ambrose Chapel macrumors 65816

Ambrose Chapel

that's good to hear, but have they actually resolved the problems? Are people still receiving new 27" iMacs with the yellow tinting or other display issues?

3. schmidm77 macrumors member

Yep, my i7 shipped yesterday, a week after ordering it.

4. talkingfuture macrumors 65816

talkingfuture

Looks like we'll find out soon if the problem is fixed. I hope so as it would make a nice next machine for me.

5. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

Glad to hear it! I was thinking about getting one, but I think I'd rather wait on a new mac pro

6. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

If this thread, http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=865971, is true. Yes, they’re still problems.

By the time Apple gets it worked out, it’ll be time to upgrade the hardware.

7. MMX macrumors regular

Mine is perfect. No yellow, no flickering, no nothing.

8. Trimmer2 macrumors member

Finger was ....

My finger has been twitching to buy an i7 but, it's already some 4+ months after launch so, I think I'll wait for the quiet upgrade that often happens in June. I'll definitely buy then w/8 gigs (two dimms).

I'm hoping for a new processor and possibly USB 3.0 this spring?

9. Ambrose Chapel macrumors 65816

Ambrose Chapel

yeah i'm thinking about waiting as well, especially if the display issues are still not resolved (at least for some people).

10. guitaratron2 macrumors newbie

27" imac working great

I got a 27" i5 imac from the apple store 2 weeks ago. I've had no flickering, yellow screen, dead pixels or any problems whatsoever. It's a beautiful fast machine and I'm loving it unconditionally :D

11. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

Regarding the yellow stains issue, I've been following it pretty closely.

I seems like it is still hit-or-miss. Some people have gotten good ones and some have returned multiple iMacs and still have not gotten ones without it. One good sign I've noticed is that the threads dealing with it have become a lot less active (just the same small group of people arguing back and forth), so hoplefully that means everyone is enjoying their iMacs rather than compaining on MR.

I myself have a freshly delivered replacement iMac waiting at home for me.

BTW, it shipped 7 days after the returned unit was processed. Considering it was coming from a Shanghi factory and the Chinese new year was in there, that's really good.

, so that's what I'm hoping.

12. REM314 macrumors 6502

REM314

Until Apple puts a decent video card into their iMacs I won't buy one. I hope they do it soon or I'm just going to build a PC.

13. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-gb; Nexus One Build/ERE27) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

Good news!
    Consider me officially jealous of people that have one. :)

14. turbineseaplane macrumors 601

turbineseaplane

Ding ding ding! We have a winner.

Just another reason why waiting for Rev B is always a good choice.

15. Ambrose Chapel macrumors 65816

Ambrose Chapel

i'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

this is exactly the Mac i've been waiting for. i really hope they get it so that display problems are the exception and not the rule. sounds like there are hopeful signs...

16. Friscohoya macrumors 6502a

Friscohoya

Good. Now maybe they can return to focussing on the ipad and iphone OS.

17. richard5mith macrumors regular

Ordered mine first week of January, arrived yesterday.

Incredible looking machine, no screen problems, just really starting to poke at what it can do.

Even the mouse is the first Apple manufactured one I've ever had that I didn't throw out the window within 5 minutes.

18. BigJimmyC macrumors regular

Don't hold your breath.

19. haha guy macrumors newbie

Good luck with that

Speaking as someone who has returned four i5 27" iMacs in a failed effort to get one without problems, I wish anyone ordering a new one the best of luck. Sure there are good units out there, but I am convinced there are far more machines with screen problems than good ones. Screen yellowing and gray horizontal and vertical bands are the biggest problem, the last two machines I returned were a week 5 and a week 6. The newest week 6 machine had the worst screen of all four.
    Some people may not notice or they may look past the screen issues (pardon the pun) and the units may be fine for video gaming or watching movies, but they are totally unusable for photographic or color-critical work. Buyer beware.

Just sayin'.

20. lincolntran macrumors 6502a

lincolntran

I bought an early 2009 mac pro so I was beating myself when the 27" came out. I wish I waited. However, I feel really good about the mac pro when I have to work for an extended period. I don't know if the iMac will have any issue when working for an extended period of time especially for cpu consuming tasks. Having said that, the 2560x1440 resolution is very hard to resist when considering the price. To reduce the urge, I had to compromise myself with two 23" LCDs. ;)

21. jo0 macrumors regular

o'rlly fool...

must have been some kind of disturbance...but defiantly not hardware issues...*cough...

22. pionata macrumors 6502

It sure doesn't make the ones ordered last month ago ship any faster...

23. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

my office has several, all store bought, not a problem in the bunch.

it makes me wonder how many of these bad machines were custom orders. perhaps the issue isn't the machine per se but a problem in transit. improper handling -- tossing around by handlers and machines, weekend storage in improper conditions etc -- could possible cause something to come loose. at least one person who is an authorized sales tech opened his 27 inch and noticed that the actual crystal seemed to have warped, perhaps due to heat. he smoothed it somehow and no more yellow. And the leaked Applecare memo spoke of replacing displays as well.

i'm thinking that the reason why there was a delay was partly due to high demand and partly due to Apple going back to display suppliers and having them do something to strengthen the frame so it doesn't come loose as easily if it is manhandled by Fedex or whomever. if so then we should see the times keep improving and the number of incidents go down (probably won't ever totally go away)

24. patseguin macrumors 68000

patseguin

I made Apple exchange my i7 27" before the 2nd firmware update was put out. The new unit came with the firmware update already installed. No yellow tinge and no more flickering. I couldn't be happier with my new iMac.

25. alent1234 macrumors 603

could be the packaging. i've seen FedEx and UPS abuse stuff and it still works with proper packaging. with Apple's new thin/green packaging it may not stand up to shipping. FedEx and UPS both have standards for packaging.

where i work we order HP servers and other expensive hardware and i have never seen it arrive with physical damage from CDW