27 inch imac with sound problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by n-green, Oct 27, 2009.

1. n-green macrumors newbie

Ive just recently bought a 27 inch imac and having problems with the sound. when i want to play something like music or a dvd it takes about 15 minutes before the built in speakers will kick in.

Has this happened to anyone else? if so have you found the solution to get around it? as apple technical support cant seem to help me with the general settings and audio MIDI set up

2. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Have you reset the SMC and PRAM?

SMC reset details here

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1543

PRAM details

1. Shut down the computer.
    2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
    3. Turn on the computer.
    4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
    5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
    6. Release the keys.

3. mac88 macrumors 6502

It seems that some people are having issues with sound from these new iMacs. I hope this is not a bad sign? Hopefully you can fix your problem. Good luck!

4. n-green thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah, ive done that a few times but still doesnt resolve the problem. The sound works but the computer has to be on for about half an hour before any sound comes out

5. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Have you also done a archive and install of the OS?

6. n-green thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah, i have now booked it in with apple to get it checked out, hopefully they can resolve the problem, but thanks for your help. :)

7. n-green thread starter macrumors newbie

Just to let you know that the problem lies within the headphone jack, was told that there was some dirt in the headphone jack making the mac think something was plugged in, solution to the problem was to clear it out with the headphone and then reset the system with the cmd alt P & R buttons and force it to memorise to check jack before starting up. just thought i would let you all know for any future posts

8. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Wow thats a great outcome. Maybe i need to perform the same method on my powerbook the sound is a little flakey there too at the moment.

Just out of interest was it like that with the sound problem when it was purchased?

9. n-green thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah, ive only had the computer a week and it was like it from day 1