27" Intel iMac with constant black screen- video provided

Discussion in 'iMac' started by John0563, Dec 30, 2011.

1. John0563 macrumors newbie

The other day I was using my iMac, just surfing the web (email, etc), and the screen went black out of nowhere. The only thing I could do was hold the power button to shut it off. Now, I cant get any video back to the screen.

I tried leaving it unplugged then rebooting, I reset the PRAM (a few times). I even took out one of the two RAM modules to test each one individually (the original RAM), and the mac booted fine with each one.

Everything is working. I connected it to my TV and can do anything, only the mac display is a constant flickering backlit black. You can not see anything at all.

My warranty is expired and I'm hoping I can find someone who can help me figure out what the problem is.

Here is a video of the issue: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wa6l66XOl8I

Please help!

2. blackmetal macrumors newbie

I started to get the same problem last night. My imac was really hot, so I thought it was just an automatic shutting down the display to preserve it.. not..
    Got it again a few times today.
    Not sure what to do, definitely the worst $2500 I have spent.

3. Freis968 macrumors 6502a

Freis968

What year is yours? Mine is a 27" Mid 2010 and I am having some graphics issues as well. When gaming it flickers and then goes completely black.

4. Fishrrman macrumors G4

"Everything is working. I connected it to my TV and can do anything, only the mac display is a constant flickering backlit black. You can not see anything at all."

I would _guess_ that this is a backlighting problem. The video processor seems to be ok, since you can verify that by connecting another display (or tv).

If not the backlight itself, could be the display panel.

Or... something gone wrong with the internal connections between those components.

Are you still under warranty? If so, take it in, right away!

5. andydckent macrumors member

Without having watched the video, it sounds very much like the black screen issue on the 2008 24" iMacs. That was to do with faulty 8800GS graphics cards.

6. blackmetal macrumors newbie

Mine is a 27'' mid-2011. It sounds like it goes to sleep randomly. I have to push the power button in the back and/or hit the Esc key. Very strange.
    I unplugged all the usb stuff I had connected, same behavior.
    I will bring it in since I am lucky to leave a mile from the store.