27" Just Too Big???

Discussion in 'iMac' started by TsunamiTheClown, Apr 28, 2011.

1. TsunamiTheClown macrumors 6502a

TsunamiTheClown

I have a quandary, I've convinced my boss to buy me a new iMac and am eagerly anticipating getting it if after Tuesday's (much anticipated) refresh date for the iMacs.

Should I try to get the 27" or is that just too big to work in front of all day? Who uses the big boy for work out there? Do you like it? Does it strain your eyes? Let me know.

A 27" iMac might eliminate the need for multiple screens. If i go with a 21.5" then I may need an additional screen.

P.S. Im doing web development and database work mostly.

Thanks all!

2. rdowty macrumors 6502a

rdowty

My God no. I would take a 30" if they updated them. If Thunderbolt lets us daisy chain them I'd get two at least.

3. TsunamiTheClown thread starter macrumors 6502a

TsunamiTheClown

Daisy chain the 27" displays or the the actual iMacs? Would you use one keyboard and mouse/trackpad?

4. Eduardo1971 macrumors 65816

Eduardo1971

Tsunamitheclown-what a great handle!:cool:

Now what was your question again? Oh yeah, you are one lucky clown to have a boss buy you an iMac for work. If I were you and had your business needs I would request the 27 inch model. I believe others on this board would concur.

5. TsunamiTheClown thread starter macrumors 6502a

TsunamiTheClown

6. xkmxkmxlmx macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx

I have a 24" and I am dying for the 27" (a 30 would be even better!).

It is amazing for work (I do web design).

7. below sea level macrumors member

I use a 27" iMac for work all day, every day. It's not too big at all. In fact, my current plan is to add the matching 27" Cinema Display to the desk as well.

8. macthismacthat macrumors member

macthismacthat

You can see from my signature that I have 27".....you will adopt the perspective of 2560x1440 in matter of 2 days. I can't explain with words how much easier is for coding when you have number of windows viewable at any second without minimizing them. You should definitely go for it.

9. Emathieu macrumors regular

The funny thing about screen real estate is that you only think you have a lot of it for a little while.

When I first got my 27" iMac, I thought it was HUGE, and I convinced myself that I no longer needed two monitors as it was enough workspace.

Now I'm planning on buying a 27" ACD to go with it. :D

10. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

I have a 27" Cinema on my Mac Pro, and at first coming from my 17" iMac, It felt like heaven... now as many others have, Im debating adding a second (and then in my case also a third, as I have 3 monitors in an edit suite I use regularly and its like a dream) - no screen is too big.

11. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

I think the 27 inch personally. I have read of a few complaints about increased eyestrain etc but you can simply return if it thats the case, right?

12. Cole JM macrumors regular

13. rcappo macrumors regular

I use a 37" at work and at home.

I think 46" would be about the biggest I would use without getting higher than 1080p resolutions.

14. Jenni8 macrumors member

I was pondering the same thing. Budget wise the smaller screen (Wishing but not expecting a 24") would work best, but I plan on keeping this computer for at least 5 or so years. How much of a price jump is expected between the 2 sizes? Is it better to get the low end 27" over the higher end 21" iMac?

BTW: I will primarily be using Photoshop for photography..

15. Doc750 macrumors 6502a

honestly the 27" is kinda small. I think a 32 or a 36 would be nicer

16. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

The 27" is great. You may find yourself not using all of it all the time, but it's nice to have that much space. 30" is the biggest I could do, otherwise I'd have to sit back pretty far. Personally, I think 24" would be the sweet spot for me.

17. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Really? :confused:

Anyway, I had a 20" iMac, then a 24" iMac and currently my 27" and each in turn felt huge at first, then just 'normal'.

In no way could 27" be classified "too big" as far as I'm concerned.

18. bobsaget macrumors member

Use the 27" iMac 9-10 hours a day at work doing video production and motion design. Coming from a macbook pro 13", it took a little getting used to in terms of mouse movements and such. now I hate my macbook. :(

19. TsunamiTheClown thread starter macrumors 6502a

TsunamiTheClown

Great feedback! I'm sold on the 27...do you all use Spaces or just the screen real estate?

@ SaSaSushi: Its an old handle...no disrespect.

20. xkmxkmxlmx macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx

Every once in a while I use Spaces, but as said, I design... So I usually have a text editor, dreamweaver, photoshop, itunes, Chrome/Safari and any other random window/program without using spaces.

There have been times when I thought about using it, but I get by fine without it. Personally I think spaces was created for the MB crowds.

21. benjayman2 macrumors 6502

benjayman2

Went from a 17" mbp to a 27" iMac. No regrets.

22. jonessodarally macrumors member

27" for Web

Congrats in advance!

I've got the 27" now, also doing web work. Absolutely love it. Like others have said, it doesn't feel big at all after a few days.

The hard part is keeping my browser windows small enough to get a feel for what websites look like on everyone else's smaller screens. haha

If you're going from two monitors down to one, I've gotten really comfortable with using Spaces in OS X. I have the keystroke set to option+arrow keys, and it's second nature after a few weeks to hop between spaces (i have it set to 4 columns, 1 row).

Good luck on the refresh! :)

23. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Thanks for clearing that up, TTC.

We're still understandably a little sensitive to tsunami humor over here. :(

24. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

By the way, I still use Spaces but mostly for when I'm running Windows 7 in Parallels fullscreen in one space with OS X in another, not because of screen real estate constrictions.

25. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

Too big? Psh. I'd take a 55 inch iMac if they made it. :)