27" late 2012 iMac Target Display Mode Issues

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Scottuary, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Scottuary macrumors member

I've wondering if someone can help me with an issue. I'm trying to use my new iMac in target display mode with my wife's 13" Retina MBP. I plug them both in via thunderbolt, I hit cmd-f2 and the rMBP recognizes the iMac as a display, however, the iMac is just blank (all black, no picture)

I think I'm doing everything right for this to work. All thunderbolt, both new machines, used cmd-f2. The 13" rMBP can handle a second monitor and the new iMac can handle target display mode (via thunderbolt machines only).

Why isn't this working? Why is my iMac screen blank?

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

3. Scottuary thread starter macrumors member

Yep, the iMac is working great. I haven't had any issues at all with it in the two weeks I got it.

Should I call Apple Support?

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

a call to apple support is probably worth it especially since your iMac is new.

5. martinm0 macrumors 6502a

I have the same issue with my 2012 27" iMac (3.4, 680MX). When I initiate Target Display mode the iMac goes black and never comes back up. On the laptop I can see the display in Display Preferences, but its as if the backlight doesn't come on in TD mode. (I even did screen sharing into the laptop and can see both displays there.

Anyway, called Apple and they determined its an issue and I have to send in for a replacement.

Anyone else with a 2012 iMac (21.5 or 27), can you please test out Target Display mode and let us know if things are working or not?

6. martinm0 macrumors 6502a

Did you call Apple in the end? What was the outcome? They wanted me to bring it in for repair, but I asked that they just replace it for me. Will probably have to wait two weeks due to the backlog (I'd get priority over new orders), but I still expect it to take some time.

7. Mac32, Jan 11, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2013

Mac32 macrumors 65816

Man, that's a nasty defect. You might use your iMac for a long time before you notice this issue (if you don't have any thunderbolt macbooks). Is this a widespread issue?

8. likegadgets macrumors 6502

No problem here. Retina can use late 2012 27" iMac as monitor using a thurnderbolt cable and fn 2.

9. torana355 macrumors 68020

I will let you know if my thunderbolt Cable ever turns up......

10. Mac32 macrumors 65816

Thanks! Very good to know if this is a widespread hardware flub by Apple, or just a few unlucky customers.

11. emoh macrumors member

I am having similar issue with my iMac late 2012. It was reported fault on 7th Jan 2013. I received my iMac (Late 2012) on 31st Dec 2012.
    till date, they are unable to give me a resolution. Still pending their timing snoop and capture data logs diagnostic.

Getting on my nerves waiting as I need the 27" iMac as 2nd display with my Mid 2011 MBA. URRRGH!

12. evgens. macrumors newbie

The same issue/problem

Hi guys, has anybody really sorted it out finally? I have the same problem with non-working target mode on iMac 27" Late 2012 and mba 13" Mid 2013 and Mba 11" Mid 2012 ((((( It annoy me every day so much

13. DarkonJohn macrumors newbie

I just ran into this problem myself with late 2012 27" iMac and mid 2013 MacBook Air. Went to the Apple store today with my MBA and Thunderbolt cable and talked to a Genius. They tested against a Thunderbolt monitor and that worked fine (using the built-in cable), so they swapped my Thunderbolt cable and said if that didn't work, come back again with both my MBA and iMac since the problem could be with the iMac.

Just wondering if this is a problem with the early production runs of the late 2012 iMacs since I bought one of the first units after they were announced.