27" late 2013 maxed out - loud fan noise

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Deadeyeshark, Nov 29, 2013.

1. Deadeyeshark macrumors regular

Deadeyeshark

Hi

this maybe normal - or not..?

Have a 27" iMac maxed out (bar the 8gb ram). During anything intensive, eg converting video files via handbrake or converting multiple video files from WMV to mp4, the fan spins up fairly loudly for a short period and spins down again.

Not overly bothered by it, but wondered if it could give me problems down the line, is it worth getting it looked at? Alternatively is there anything I can do to resolve it myself?

thanks! :)

2. thomas130 macrumors newbie

I don't think there is anything wrong but them tasks will hog the system resources which mean the processor will get a lot hotter, so the fan noise is to keep the hardware cool

3. WilliamG macrumors 604

There's a fan in there for a reason. That's how fan noise correlates to temperature..

4. Deadeyeshark, Nov 29, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2013

Deadeyeshark thread starter macrumors regular

Deadeyeshark

Cool, I just moved from a (then) maxed out 2008 24" which made very little if any noise performing more or less the same tasks (a lot more slowly), but still, just wanted to check it was normal given the amount of £££ i just laid out. :)

5. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

My maxed out 2013 model is much louder than my late 2009. Only thing I am really disappointed with.

Check out this thread right here where much of these issues are discussed.

6. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

I here the slightest noise from a fan spinning on the left side but not loud or irritating enough to warrant packing up and taking it to the apple store for them to ship it off and have it come back either louder or no sound at all.

Loving the SSD, still on mountain lion have no reason to switch over till the kinks are worked out