27" LED Cinema Display Discontinued?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by george-brooks, Jan 11, 2012.

1. george-brooks macrumors 6502a

george-brooks

I was just browsing the B&H website and noticed that they list the 27" LED Cinema Display as "discontinued" (though it is still for sale on the Apple online store and says in stock and ready to ship). Does anyone think that this is a sign that the LED Cinema display might be discontinued in favor of the thunderbolt display (which would leave current mac pro customers in the dust, but then again, there are talks of discontinuing that too of course or a refresh with thunderbolt), or is this probably just a slip up by B&H?

[​IMG]

2. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

A mac pro can use any monitor and the next mac pro will have thunderbolt.

3. george-brooks thread starter macrumors 6502a

george-brooks

Yes, I know that, but do we think this means the LED Cinema Display is going away? Apple is more and more starting to leave outdated users in the dust, and if they were to stop selling this display, it would mean you would need a thunderbolt equipped mac in order to enjoy the fully features of the only display they would be selling.

4. borisiii macrumors 6502

The 27" LED display has been discontinued – it was replaced with the thunderbolt display. The 27" LED display is identical to the thunderbolt display apple currently sells except it lacks thunderbolt. The thunderbolt display costs the same as the display it replaces so there was no point in continuing to sell both.

5. george-brooks thread starter macrumors 6502a

george-brooks

Has it officially been discontinued though? It is still for sale through apple and the product image on the online store has recently been updated to reflect the release of Lion.

6. Lennyvalentin macrumors 65816

Lennyvalentin

It's not been discontinued and the thunderbolt display has not replaced it either. They're both still available for sale, until Apple says otherwise like with any other Apple product...

7. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Wrong. What if I purchased my laptop prior to this year (or got a mac pro) and decided I wanted an apple monitor?
    The TB monitor only works with TB macs.
    The CD works with both.
    They should and I believe they still do sell both.
    They should still sell them because a TB equipped monitor would not work with a not TB mac.

8. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

I cannot find a way to buy the ACD separately on the uk online store. I can only buy it with a mac pro. Then again, I am sure that I could buy it via the phone.

9. george-brooks thread starter macrumors 6502a

george-brooks

It should be in the Displays and Graphics section of Mac Accessories. I just checked the UK store and saw it there.

10. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

11. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

It could be that B&H is no longer carrying it, so it's "Discontinued" as a product they offer for sale.

12. george-brooks thread starter macrumors 6502a

george-brooks

Usually B&H will list something discontinued when it has been discontinued by the manufacturer, right? Otherwise they'll say out of stock or something like that.

----------

Same with the US version, but if you click on the thunderbolt display, at the bottom of that page there is a link to the LED Cinema Display in the online store. So I guess maybe it isnt discontinued officially but apple is phasing out their marketing of it.

13. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

There it is. I didn't scroll all the way to the bottom when I was checking on my phone earlier. :eek:

14. borisiii macrumors 6502

A little research reveals this is true. I was misinformed – I was under the impression that the ATD worked with MDP Macs (for display only) and therefore there was no need for the ACD. The ATD is not compatible with pre-2011 Macs, and hence they continue to sell both.