27" LED Cinema Display reviewed by AnandTech

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Hellhammer, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

2. jbyun04 macrumors 6502a

jbyun04

Good but not great seems be to what they're saying. Great review, thanks for that.:)

3. Rideherhard macrumors 6502

Isn't 12ms pretty bad response time for games and sports.

4. Hellhammer thread starter Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

That's normal for IPS displays, especially ones that are relatively big. Only TN panels achieve those 2ms response times

5. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

Honestly anything under 20ms response time is not going to be noticeable, and they are talking grey-to-grey anyway, which is not really relevant. Once it gets below a certain point, the important thing is that there is no "ghosting" when in motion. I did some testing on mine that I receieved today and there is absolutely 0 ghosting in every motion test I ran. This means that the response time is more than adequate for gaming.

Besides, the key thing to gaming is not response time, but latency. Since these display don't use any advanced image processors (there is not even any built in controls!) there is no added latency at all. So this display is actually really great for gaming. The only downside is the native resolution which means if you want to run a game at that high of a resolution it requires a beefy graphics card.

6. Ashok0 macrumors regular

Overall it was a great review, thanks for the link.

Most of the faults seemed pretty trivial. Yeah, it's also not 120Hz, but then again NO IPS monitors are 120Hz.

One question though for any ACD27 owners... do you have any problems with the LED backlight? The reviewer claims its a bit too bright, and I am curious what other peoples thoughts are on this.

Also, the reviewer says he had issues with glare in movies. Is this a noticeable problem for anyone who is using the ACD27 in a dark room?

7. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

The backlight seems fine to me once you find the right brightness setting that is comfortable for you. It has a pretty large range though so you gotta make sure to fine tune it. It is a little too easy to make it too bright or too dim because of that.

In terms of glare I have had zero issues. I think when watching movies it is best to not have any lights on in the room anyway, and that is the only time I could see it potentially being a problem (dark scenes). It might be an issue for people who have a window sitting behind them without proper shading. The light from the window could easily cause glare, especially during movies like I said. Overall with my current setup I have seen no glare, but everyone's environment is different.

8. blackreplica macrumors member

How about all this stuff anandtech mentions about how the monitor improves after calibration? Is running the standard calibration routine in OS X > System Preferences > Displays sufficient? Or do you need one of those professional calibration thingamajigs to get the benchmarked performance?

9. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

Better to have it professionally calibrated, the calibration tool built into OS X isn't very accurate. I would look for a friend who has one you can borrow, or maybe feel frisky and just use someone else's calibrated profile since there is probably not that much difference between manufactured panels at the moment.

Here is one I found in another thread on the forums:

As always, there is always a risk that their profile might not be accurate because they calibrated it wrong. But if you really are not feeling up to calibrating it yourself and don't like the default profile then it can't hurt to try it out.

10. blackreplica macrumors member

thanks for posting the file! I dont know anyone with a calibration unit and buying one doesnt make a whole lot of sense to me so this file will be really useful

11. xispec macrumors member

Sold my 2x 24" LED Cinema Displays and getting the 27" LED Cinema Display. After seeing the actual display in the Apple store. It's so much nicer than a 24" Reason I'm getting rid of the dual display set-up is because of the power draw it needs and the exessive heat that it produces together. IMO I think the 16:9 ratio on the 27" looks much better than the 16:10 from the 24"