27" likely to get discontinued?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by washburn, Jun 16, 2012.

1. washburn, Jun 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2012

washburn macrumors 6502

with the recent axing of the 17" MBP, I thought that a similar thing could be happening with the iMac..

the 21.5" sells a lot more than the 27" by how much I don't know exactly, but I read it a few times on this forum that it does.

and as have many people mentioned they think a 21.5" is too small and a 27" too big and a 24" is just right..

the 17" MBP was aimed at pro users but since they killed it off maybe Apple feels the pros don't really need such a large display anymore?

So maybe there will be just a one size iMac next with Retina at around 24", as that would be easier to implement Retina?

finally, would a Retina 27" iMac work well and would it be very expensive to do it?

2. Rlnplehshalo macrumors regular

I doubt it, it might become the entry model instead with a 30" or 33" inch model taking the larger position.

3. Nandifix macrumors 6502

27" iMac sells a lot better than 17" mbp, I don't see it going anywhere.

4. FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

I do not think that they will discontinue the 27" iMac because it is a great machine and it sells well. In my opinion, the 27" iMac is the best all-in-one machine up to date in Apple's history. When I said this, the Macintosh Plus, Macintosh SE, Macintosh Classic, and early iMacs came into my mind.

To me, the next best all-in-one machine will be the one without the chin!

To me, the next-next best all-in-one machine will be the one with a retina display and without the chip!

... ...

5. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

6. Daysight macrumors regular

Love my 27". Between that size and Lion's virtual desktops, i can get a lot done.

7. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

Not likely. Many people don't have the desk real estate for a 27". And, on a desk that isn't deep enough, they'll get that "first row of the movie theater" effect forcing the user to look up at the screen or sliding back away from the desk.

Not to mention, the 21.5" models far outsell their larger sibling not just because of the price difference but because people don't need that much screen.

8. New Apple macrumors regular

it's 2 different things

Laptops (MBP) are meant for portability
    a 17'' for portability is a bit nonsense

at home you go the opposite, large-big-big-large (all people going for 40-50-60'' flat screens while 30 years ago 32'' was huge.) you don't have the issue to carry and you wanna enjoy.

27'' imac stays safely, only reason to cut it is they make a 28-29-30-31-32 they wanna redesign (but size aint the issue)

9. Stetrain, Jun 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2012

Stetrain macrumors 68040

I think it depends a lot on the display panels that Apple can get, especially as they transition to Retina over the next couple of years.

If a supplier can make a bunch of 30" (or 24") IPS displays with 4K resolution we might see that replace the 27".

10. gingataff macrumors newbie

I7 is the only reason I'd consider the 27".
    Sizewise I'm more than happy enough with my 20" iMac.

Just because I want power doesn't mean I have unlimited space.
    27" would barely fit on my desk. 30"? Forget it.

11. old-wiz macrumors G3

I always thought the biggest problem with 17" mbp was carrying it around. an iMac isn't designed to be carried and works fine. I have a 24" iMac from 2008 and it's a great size. I wouldn't go for anything smaller though.

12. OliOC macrumors newbie

You clearly don't earn a living by working the creative industry and using a mac. For a lot of people, 21.5" is no way big enough for day to day creative work. I realise for some people 27" is too big and not necessary, but for a lot of people, it's really not.

The current iMacs 27" screen is pretty much perfect in size and pixel density for a lot of people out there. I don't see them dropping it ANYTIME soon!

13. Bear macrumors G3

This plus the fact that the only external display Apple sells is 27". I would say 27" is here to stay unless and until a display within a few inches has a much higher ppi.

14. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Price is the primary reason. If you compare the people who are deciding between the higher spec'd $1499 21.5" model many will opt to pay a $200 more and get the 27" if they can accommodate the space.

Opening up iPhoto on both sized iMacs will almost universally have people wanting the 27"

Size does matter.

;)

15. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

If the biggest iMac from here on out isn't as large, or larger than 27", you can count me out on buying iMacs from now on.

16. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

You might think you don't need that much screen until you use a 27". I'd never go smaller now.

17. Aodhan macrumors regular

Twenty-seven inches would be impossible for me to use, with my current desk setup, which is not nearly deep enough to accommodate a screen of that size. The 21.5-inch model is my next purchase, if they would hurry up and release it.

I agree that a 23-24-inch model would be as close to perfection as one could get for an iMac, at least for my needs.

18. TjeuV macrumors 6502

Once you tried a 27" you never go back :) They better never discontinue !

19. retrospek macrumors 6502a

retrospek

Now that I have 27" I really want Apple to come out with a 30" !!

20. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I currently use a 2009 (non-TB) 27" iMac, and I have an ATD for my MBA. Once I get my new iMac next month (or whenever)... I'll connect the ATD so that I can have a dual 27" setup.

/Jim

21. plucky duck macrumors 6502

Only reason they'll consider ditching the 27" is if there's a larger 30" in store IMO.

22. Jazper macrumors 6502a

Na, 27inch will stay, I doubt they will change their sizes until they design a whole new range of computers...

23. bayleaves macrumors regular

My husband saw someone bring their iMac to the library yesterday. They set it up on one of the big reading tables. I guess if you don't have a laptop...

24. mcpix macrumors regular

I think the 21.5" is a nice size for an all in one.

However, now that I also have a 27", the 21.5" sometimes feels small. If you've got the room and the cash go for the 27".

I would actually be curious which model sells better. I'd guess the 21.5" just because of price, but I'm surprised how many people have the 27".

25. harcosparky macrumors 68020

27" iMac will be discontinued when the 30" iMac is announced.

Retina Display on 27" iMac - I doubt Apple will do that.

Death Of 17" Macbook Pro -

Did you know that many 17" Macbook Pro's were returned in exchange for 15" Macbook Pro's? And SIZE was not the issue. Why then were 17" MBP's returned in favor of 15" MBP's? Screen Resolution/Font Size. Many people had a hard time reading the screen fonts on the 17" MBP at its native resolution.

I had heard about it, and went to the Apple store to see it. Sure enough the fonts on the 17" MBP were tinier than on the 15" MBP.

I thought I could live with it and gave it 12 days for me to adjust.

I took it back and came home with a 27" iMac.

No the 27" iMac won't be going anywhere unless a larger model is released.

FWIW: In reality the Apple 17" Macbook Pro was no larger than any non-Apple 15" Notebook. In fact in the past I kept Apple 17" notebooks in 15" Notebook cases.

----------

It would be cost prohibitive, and I do not think it would even work well.