Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JaredAppleHead

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 20, 2023
Please recommend a 27" Monitor that you absolutely love paired up with your Mac Studio.

Cheers!

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"hoping for some alternative cheaper answers"

I'd suggest a 27" 4k display. Numerous ones are available.

Have you looked at Dell?

Reactions: JaredAppleHead

JaredAppleHead

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 20, 2023
Greetings I'm just trying to figure out which Monitor to pair with my Mac Studio. I'm ideally looking cheaper alternatives to the Apple Studio Display. However if you think the ASD is the only suitable monitor feel free to recommend that as well. So far the I've been leaning toward the Dell U2723QE 27". I'd love a 27" monitor that:

1) Doesn't have scaling issues

2) Easily connects and supports Mac hardware connections and operating systems

3) Perhaps has bluelight dimming or eye strain protection

goldpin

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2021
I have been very pleased with the Dell U2723QE 4K monitor. I was a little concerned about not being 5K, but the text and images are clear to me, but in my late 40's, perhaps my eyes are not as precise as they used to be. Also works with my iPad but it remained hooked to my M2 Pro Mini the staggering majority of the time via thunderbolt cable. I also connect a work laptop some days via HDMI.

MasterHowl

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
North of England
I have an Apple Studio Display (admittedly with an M2 Mac mini, not a Studio, but you know…). I've had zero regrets since the day it arrived. (I did have the mild panic in the days between purchase and arrival, but I always get that with expensive kit.)

I like my Studio Display so much that I'd buy another one tomorrow if my desk was big enough!

JaredAppleHead

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 20, 2023
Actually I'm realizing that Monitors are measured diagonally so 32" might work too if it measure about 27-28" wide :)

bejaxn0623

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2023
Atlanta Georgia
Apple Studio Display. In my case with a Mac Mini.
Does the studio display go to sleep when you put your mini to sleep. I know the display has no physical buttons just wondering if the display will go to sleep once your mini does. I was reason some where having problems with that.

saberfi

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2015
Honestly, if you can buy the Apple Studio Display, I would say definitely go for it. The cost may sting for a while if you're more accustomed to affordable solutions (which is sensible), but in the end I think you'll be glad you made the choice.

You could consider it investing in your eyes and ergonomics. You'd get automatic brightness control and True Tone that no other monitor provides, and the "it just works" experience without having to adjust anything, calibrate colors, etc. Not to mention never having to see pixels while reading text. Plus, it's not yet another black plasticky office monitor with a washed out matte surface, but a product that looks great and feels more premium.

Why not try it and return it if you feel you're not getting enough bang for your buck. Of course there's a risk it spoils any further display experiment. 😅

meson

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2014
There is nothing out there like an Apple Retina display. The glossy glass surface really makes colors pop. The resolution is excellent. If this is the experience you want, then the Studio Display is the only option, unless you have Pro Display XDR money to spend.

If you are pragmatic about things, a 27" or 32" 4k display can be a great choice. I use an LG 32UL500 (at the lower end of the 4k panels) with my mini. I regularly bounce back and forth between it and my 13" M1 MBP. The difference between displays is noticeable, but not nearly as jarring as it was with other lower ppi display panels.

Scaled resolutions work just fine. The GPU processing penalty is minimal for non-gaming use. The images you see of terrible looking text renders come from putting the display in a mode that favors sharpness and removes the shaded pixels used to help your brain interpret curves (follow the setup used at rtings.com if there is one for your display, and you will be quite happy).

With reasonable expectations, a 4k display is an excellent option. Once the budget creeps up to the $1k range, then the Apple Studio Display becomes the leader.

In regard to your questions.

1) Apple scales for 4k, the same way it does for 5k. Scaled resolutions work just fine and Apple uses a fractional scaling as the default resolution on all of its laptops (if it were a significant resource problem, Apple wouldn't do it on its mobile devices). Things are slightly less sharp due to the pixels being a bit larger. At normal desktop viewing distances, it's not a huge issue. Even with 32" 4k, the specular reflection from the texture of the matte finish on my display causes me more grief than the size of the pixels.

2) Apple's compatibility with third party displays can be quirky, but it seems that quite a few of the issues with the M-series machines have been worked out over the last few years. Apple's implementation of HDMI seems to have more issues pop up. I choose usb c to DisplayPort when I can. There is always a risk of things cropping up, even with first party peripherals.

3) I don't know if any display manufacturers built in blue light reduction options into their monitors. If you want it with third party displays, you can use the f.lux app.

JaredAppleHead

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 20, 2023
There is nothing out there like an Apple Retina display. The glossy glass surface really makes colors pop. The resolution is excellent. If this is the experience you want, then the Studio Display is the only option, unless you have Pro Display XDR money to spend.

If you are pragmatic about things, a 27" or 32" 4k display can be a great choice. I use an LG 32UL500 (at the lower end of the 4k panels) with my mini. I regularly bounce back and forth between it and my 13" M1 MBP. The difference between displays is noticeable, but not nearly as jarring as it was with other lower ppi display panels.

Scaled resolutions work just fine. The GPU processing penalty is minimal for non-gaming use. The images you see of terrible looking text renders come from putting the display in a mode that favors sharpness and removes the shaded pixels used to help your brain interpret curves (follow the setup used at rtings.com if there is one for your display, and you will be quite happy).

With reasonable expectations, a 4k display is an excellent option. Once the budget creeps up to the $1k range, then the Apple Studio Display becomes the leader.

In regard to your questions.

1) Apple scales for 4k, the same way it does for 5k. Scaled resolutions work just fine and Apple uses a fractional scaling as the default resolution on all of its laptops (if it were a significant resource problem, Apple wouldn't do it on its mobile devices). Things are slightly less sharp due to the pixels being a bit larger. At normal desktop viewing distances, it's not a huge issue. Even with 32" 4k, the specular reflection from the texture of the matte finish on my display causes me more grief than the size of the pixels.

2) Apple's compatibility with third party displays can be quirky, but it seems that quite a few of the issues with the M-series machines have been worked out over the last few years. Apple's implementation of HDMI seems to have more issues pop up. I choose usb c to DisplayPort when I can. There is always a risk of things cropping up, even with first party peripherals.

3) I don't know if any display manufacturers built in blue light reduction options into their monitors. If you want it with third party displays, you can use the f.lux app.
Thanks!

meson

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2014
Oh, I noticed you asked about the width of 32" displays. My 32" 4k display housing is 28.7" wide. The viewable display is 27.5" wide.

I usually run in full native 4k. The screen real estate is incredible and eliminates my desire for a second display. The looks like 3008x1692 resolution is a great option that brings the saving in line with that size that elements are normally displayed on Apple's desktop displays.

Reactions: picpicmac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.