27" new iMac hard drive spinning all the time,

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Azrael050210, Oct 8, 2011.

1. Azrael050210 macrumors newbie

Azrael050210

Hi all,

I have just brought my iMac which was running very smoothly until today. After transferring data from my windows machine approx 500GB, the internal drive keeps spinning, could this be a defrag session ? If so, how can I monitor the proccess? The Internet is buffeting videos ok so it's not the network and all operating system actions seem very slow, could this be memory?

If you think you know then please comment below, I would be very grateful for any ideas you may have .

Many thanks

Azrael050210

2. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

There is no defrag on OSX, it might be indexing it.

Navigate to applications -> Utilities and fire up Activity Monitor and looking for processes that is eating up your cpu cycles...

3. leman macrumors 604

You copied lots of data to it, now its indexing it. No reason to be alarmed. It will soon go away.

4. Azrael050210 thread starter macrumors newbie

Azrael050210

Indexing sounds like the issue. What proccess am I looking for in the monitor, I guess this index process may take a while, maybe come back to it later?

Thank you for you help so far.

5. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

You can tell if spotlight is indexing your drive by looking at the magnifying glass in the top right corner. If it has a dot in the middle of the magnifying glass, it is indexing the drive. You can also click on it, and it will tell you if it is indexing.

6. Azrael050210 thread starter macrumors newbie

Azrael050210

I think I was just hanging for ages, I went in and canceled the worker process and this made the indexing faster, I would like to start the index again now just to make sure it's finished, what do you think?

7. Azrael050210 thread starter macrumors newbie

Azrael050210

Guys Help !

This indexing is taking forever, hour after hour, i know i have 600GB now on here but should it really take this much time? When i and quit the mdworker process it just starts again, where am i going wrong? I can't even see the dot in the magnifying glass now so i'm not sure if its even indexing.

Will there be a way to start the process when i'm in bed tonight so its not effecting other users not?