27" or 21.5" + 20" external

Discussion in 'iMac' started by BigCanoe, Jul 3, 2011.

1. BigCanoe macrumors 6502

I have a few year old 20" Apple studio LCD. I am thinking about getting a new iMac. I am considering two options. Keeping the Apple studio and going dual monitors with a 21.5", or selling it and doing a single 27". Anyone else gone through this that would care to share what they ended up doing?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I prefer one big display instead of two smaller ones. It's annoying to move your head around all the time and the gap between the monitors isn't comfortable IMO.

3. BigCanoe thread starter macrumors 6502

True, they are not the same size, or resolution or height either.

4. Kendo macrumors 68000

Dual monitor setup works great when you have the same monitors. On my Windows setup, I like to browse the net on the right screen and have a movie playing on the left. Since you have two smaller screens, you aren't overwhelmed by one big area.

Since you can't have identical monitors with the iMac, I'd just go for the 27" model. Both setups have their pros and cons.

5. robgendreau macrumors 68030

Two monitors (one being the iMac) are generally more economical, especially since with the lack of expansion/mod options on the iMac you have to upgrade the whole computer. But with a large second monitor you've got an investment that can last quite a while.

Rob

6. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Personally, I prefer two monitors since you can organized how you display info.

However, with the 27 inch iMac, you can have other options with make it nice.

Of course a 27 inch iMac and then later, a 27 inch display would be nice. :)

7. BigCanoe thread starter macrumors 6502

I bought a 27"...what the heck am I going to do with all this real estate...