27" or 27" with retina

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Dmaynard83, May 20, 2015.

1. Dmaynard83 macrumors 6502a

Dmaynard83

Last week I bought my father in law a 27" iMac, but since the 27" with retina iMac was just released this week for $2k should I return the old one?

It's basically:

27" iMac = $1800
    27" iMac with retina = $2k

All he really does is watch chinese videos and email. I wanted to make sure he got the larger display, but I guess it just comes down is the retina worth it?

2. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Why? I doubt he would see any difference really! Let him keep the one you bought.

3. placidity44 macrumors 6502

placidity44

I'm sure he's ecstatic with the iMac you bought him. If that's all he does I really don't think he'll care. I still think the 2560x1440 is a phenomenal display. I don't think the hassle of return is worth it if he's not complaining.

4. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

I think you should if you can return it, the difference is HUGE honestly! The question is do you mind paying $200 extra that's all :)

That's really nice of you by the way!

5. aevan macrumors 68000

aevan

The retina iMac is nicer but the non-retina is a great computer as well. It just comes down to this - is the $200 a lot of money for you and do you mind the hassle of returning it and waiting for the new one. So, if you don't mind and can easily afford the difference, sure, why not - return it and get the retina one, the screen is beautiful even for watching (chinese?) videos and email. If you don't want all the hassle, then the non-retina iMac will serve your father in law just fine.

6. steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

Yes, Retina is worth it. Once you have sat in front of a Retina screen you will think all others are blurry.

I recommend swapping it.

7. tillsbury macrumors 65816

Definitely. You'll make the difference back when you come to resell it regardless, and it's an immense difference in the meantime.

8. xmichaelp macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

I don't think non-geeks really notice a difference unless you tell them ahead of time.

9. Dmaynard83 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dmaynard83

Thanks guys. I think I will return the old one and swap in the retina. Even if he doesn't notice I think it would be crime since I bought it when they just update the 27" model.

10. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

I'm glad you made that decision :)
    Let us know what he thinks :cool:

11. ixxx69 macrumors 6502a

There's some truth to that on the surface. But just because something isn't initially perceptible doesn't mean that it doesn't become meaningful over time.

Retina can help reduce eyestrain and make it a little easier for those with not-so-great eyesight. And friends and family photos look that much better. 4K video is becoming more and more common. It just looks great. It can make for a more enjoyable computer experience without the user even knowing why.

And after using retina for a while, they'll certainly notice if they try going back to a non-retina screen.

There are lots of things we appreciate without knowing exactly how they work or why they're better than something else.

Just my 2 cents.