27" Real World Audio Production Tests

Discussion in 'iMac' started by califlorida, Dec 14, 2012.

1. califlorida macrumors member

Posted this on another audio production forum. Thought it might help anybody trying to make the decision for professional work.

Did some brief "real world" audio testing with Pro Tools 10.

Specs- 2012 27" i7 3.4ghz Quad Core/ 1TB Fusion Drive/ 680MX running Mountain Lion & Pro Tools 10.

So far so good with the transition. Even though I was on Snow Leopard before all software and plugs seem to be working.

Just ran some initial tests to push it.

Pro Tools 10 running off the SSD portion of the Fusion drive.
    24 tracks
    24/48000
    256 Latency mix session using 5 of the 8 hyper-thread cores
    Maximum delay compensation
    VTM/VCC/LexiconPCM/SSL Channel/L316(lol) on every channel (My 2009 iMac would choke with just a VTM on half the channels.

Session running from an external 1TB USB 3.0 7200 G-drive

Disk Usage was running around 5%
    CPU was barely touching 73%

2. Yougotcarved macrumors regular

Very interesting thanks for doing this! Quick question, when you say "maximum delay compensation" does that just mean setting your latency to minimum latency on your ASIO driver or is it something else?

Also whats VTM/VCC/L316...are they channel inserts for effects or something?

I'm a Cubase user so I need to translate the pro tools terminology haha

3. califlorida thread starter macrumors member

Delay compensation is a feature in NON HD Pro Tools 9 & 10 it compensates for any delay caused by 3rd party plugins.

As for the initials, the audio guys know what these are. Some of the most intensive plugins.

VTM - Slate Virtual Tape Machines
    VCC - Slate Virtual Console Collection
    Lexicon PCM - High quality Reverb Plugin
    SSL Channel - Emulation of an SSL Console Channel Strip
    L316 - Waves Limiter

This combination on 24 stereo tracks would choke all but the most powerful audio systems.

The new 27" i7 seems to be handling with ease. As I explained as well this was running on 5 of 8 hyperthreaded cores. Can probably squeeze some more juice with 6 cores.

Hope that clarifys and helps. Should translate into great news for graphics and video guys as well.

4. xgman macrumors 601

xgman