27" refurb with SSD?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jonathanscott2, Dec 16, 2013.

1. jonathanscott2 macrumors newbie

This is my virgin post. I've been schooling up on storage options since the refurb'ed late 2013 iMacs became available, and I think I'd prefer a pure SSD vs. a fusion drive. I've used a number of tools to check back in time, and it appears that SSD equipped have refurbs popped up much less often. Am I right? (the machines showing up for $1869 are just about right for me).

My work 2013 rMPB has spoiled me. Please let me know if the instant performance of applications I've come to love would be different with fusion. I've been looking on AnandTech, Apple's forum, and here for something that clearly spells out the difference between 2013 fusion and 2013 SSDs from a power user, but non-videographer, standpoint.

If I wait a while will I probably see a 256 show up in one of those below-$2k models real soon? Has anyone had equivalent application performance from 2013 fusion (except for retrieving media from months ago, etc. of course)? If no on both, I'll just return all the Christmas gifts I bought people and pay the extra $350 to get an equiv. brand new model with SSD. Thanks.

2. Nismo73 macrumors 6502a

The only ssd refurb available at this time would be the 768gb late '12. Maybe at some point they'll have a 1TB late '13 refurb.

I think they know a 256 or 512gb ssd only refurb iMac would go very quickly each time, and everyone would just sit on their hands about buying until they would show up in stock on the refurb site.

3. jonathanscott2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Like me I guess. I was definitely prepping to buy a brand new base 27" with SSD upgrade until I saw the refurbs pop up 2 weeks ago, and the 3.4 i5/gtx 775m/1tb was $1869. It's roughly $150 less than the base model I was shooting for (ed discount) with components that seem to take it to the next level. The value can't be ignored, which is why I would really love to hear from someone as picky and spoiled as I am who has spent time on the new version of Fusion. I hop from a ton of open Safari tabs to PDFpenPro to MindNodePro, swipe over to a Windows 7 VM, swipe back, and trigger some scripts in Keyboard Maestro, while dropbox, google drive, and hazel are all working on various folders in the background. This all happens so much faster on this 2013 rMBP, and if a lot of that magic is a result of how quickly my machine reads and writes to storage, then maybe these fusion refurbs aren't for me.