27" scratches DVD when ejecting...

Discussion in 'iMac' started by davidnssbm, Dec 15, 2010.

1. davidnssbm macrumors regular

Any idea WTF? I have applecare. Will this cover a replacement? The disks arent totally ruined, btu there are definite "cat scratches" on all 12 disks I just burnt.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Apple will replace the ODD or the whole unit. Not sure about the discs though but you should ask

3. davidnssbm thread starter macrumors regular

I don't care about the disks I just hope they replace it.

4. davidnssbm thread starter macrumors regular

do you think if i wait to exchange it when the new imacs are released they will give me an updated one? :O

5. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

LOL....They're not going to give you a new machine unless the same issue happens 3X or if the machine is less than 14 days old. So if you take it in for scratched media and the replace the drive 3x, at that point it would be appropriate to request a replacement machine.

6. Maila87 macrumors newbie

But only if it is Major repair!!

Apple distinguish minor and major repairs. DVD drive replacement is minor, so no luck! Had replaced 3 times DVD drive in 2009 MBP 15" and no luck. Just 3rd failure of HDD gave me opportunity to got new machine. :(

7. joonyaboy macrumors 6502

joonyaboy

Just noticed a brand new DVD got scratched on the way out. I will see if any future discs I put in get scratched

8. Celedral macrumors 6502

Celedral

I think this happens when you pull the disc either too left or too right where the soft brushings can deep scratch it. Try pulling the disc parallel/straight and the problem should be gone. Really irratated me since I scratch my Starcraft 2 disc and many others. Either that or my unit is defective as well

9. cmosq macrumors newbie

Scratching=Bad Drive...

If you find that scratches happen no matter how careful you are in inserting the disc (like I was on my previous unit), it's the drive...