27" (screen issue) your thoughts please

Discussion in 'iMac' started by sneil2, Feb 24, 2012.

1. sneil2 macrumors member

sneil2

I have 27" iMac late 2011 thunderbolt model. This morning I have noticed what looks like lines and splodges on the top right hand side of screen, after doing quick search on here I've found it's a common issue.

I've been straight on the phone to Apple care who have said to take into store on Monday morning for them to 'clean' the screen?!!

It is just me?? As I'm thinking this will surely continue to happen after they have 'cleaned' the screen? Am I within rights to request a new machine or does this 'cleaning' of the screen really work? :eek:

By the way no one in the house smokes, the Apple guy asked me this 5 times during the 12minute phone call! :confused:

2. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

My late-2009 iMac is with the Apple Store having the display replaced for this issue. Even with a complete replacement of the display the tech said that he can't guarantee this issue will not re-occur.

I kept getting reminded this is considered an 'environmental issue' (eg, high levels of dust or smoke in the room) which is nonsense. Besides, the display should be designed to cope with expected levels of dust in an average home.

3. Sabik, Feb 24, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2012

Sabik macrumors member

Welcome to the dirty screen club! :D You just won a loop!

1) Get your screen replaced;
    2) Celebrate your shiny new screen!
    3) Wait a few months for the smudges to reappear;
    4) Go to step 1;

Repeat until Apple blames you for the smudges, then be stuck with a dirty screen.

Optionally you can:

5) Hope that a new generation of iMacs will solve the issue;
    6) Buy a new iMac;
    7) Go to step 1.

Seriously no, it's not just you.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1101370

Also here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=861355 , here: http://www.philmug.ph/forum/showthread.php?t=69416 and my favorite one, here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2300580?start=450&tstart=0 (141444 Views 640 Replies)

Once you finish reading them all, there are many other threads on the web discussing this issue, just google a bit.

4. mzjin macrumors 6502

mzjin

How strange, my iMac is nearly 1 year old and I opened it up yesterday to install an SSD and the thing was spotless inside and I never found a single defect on my screen.

5. Sabik, Feb 24, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2012

Sabik macrumors member

Hi, mzjin. Do you do anything intensive on your iMac (graphics, video editing, games)?

Just to be clear, if you watch this image full screen http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/594/senza20titolo1.jpg/ (it's a 2560 x 1440 white background, save it and open it), you see no dark spots on your screen, correct?

6. mzjin macrumors 6502

mzjin

I Handbrake stuff and play games on Bootcamp... not that the system ever gets above 70C on the GPU and 50-60C on the CPU anyway.

Yep, it's still flawless on full screen.

[​IMG]
    Shot at 2012-02-24

7. Sabik macrumors member

^ Good. Well, the issue does not affect everyone of course.

8. sneil2 thread starter macrumors member

sneil2

Been to store...

So just got back from store with the iMac

They took it out the box said 'yep.. needs new screen... but we have none in stock!!'

I was not impressed parking in Liverpool was £15!! As even though I had an appointment I was kept waiting. I also think I've damaged my hand carrying the big lump into the store (I'm a girl and not very strong at that!:roll eyes:) (Liverpool is now pedestrianised so have to walk to get to store)

I'm now waiting for a call when screens are in stock so I can take it back again for a re-fit.

Can I not DEMAND a new iMac, and if so who would I do this with?

9. Sabik macrumors member

sneil2,

I guess they won't give you a new iMac as long as they can easily "repair" the one you already have. Also, it won't really change anything to you, a new one will have smudges as well after a few months of usage anyway.

10. KingJosh macrumors 6502

KingJosh

make sure when you get it back ask them for assistance to your car. They do this service. I hope for the best. It shouldn't take long. the parking price is just bad luck consider yourself lucky comparing to others like myself who just got scammed for $10,000 and nothing I can do about it.

----------

I am going to be getting the new iMac when it releases. I will go hardcore with diagnosing potential problems and return it without a reason within 30 days if all goes wrong. I will then buy another when the issue is fixed rofl. Seems you have to develop this attitude in life these days if you don't want to get screwed over.

I hope the best for you Sneil