27 Thunderbolt or Cinema Display?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by sufs, Jul 5, 2012.

1. sufs macrumors newbie

I've got a 11" late 2011 MBA, and its desktop real estate is not ideal for my new workflow.

To remedy that I thought about purchasing a 27" Cinema or Thunderbolt Display. I will not need any of the "docking" features at all offered by the Thunderbolt display like Gigabit ethernet or USB, nor will I be daisy-chaining a load of other thunderbolt equipment to it.

What I do require is silent operation. That is, no constant fan in either the display nor the macbook.

After reading that the Thunderbolt Display speeds up the fan of 11" MBAs but Cinema Displays does not I'm wondering if that is still an issue.

Anyone with a 11" MBA and 27" ACD/ATD that can comment on this?

2. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

They both cost the same. So I would go thunderbolt if I were you. We never know you could need it later on.

I was looking at the price on apple.com and they both pretty much cost $999. I think I'm going for the latest which is thunderbolt display.

3. colshine macrumors regular

colshine

Get the Thunderbolt display while you might not need the extra features now they may come in handy in the future. I got my TBD in December because I'm likely to keep the monitor longer than my MBP.

4. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Get a refurb and it costs 850

5. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Thanx for the suggestion, but I get 25% off! ;) :D

6. njean777 macrumors 6502

I purchased the mini-display version even though I have a retina macbook. I know it will work on the display either way, but I needed the mini display port version because I want to hook up my ps3 also. The thunderbolt version will not work for many other computers and is basically, at this point in time, only useful for macs and the limited amount of thunderbolt devices.