27" too big?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Kissaragi, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

Well i got my 27" i5 imac today and amazingly its in perfect condition.

Im finding the 27" screen a lot to take in though. Has anyone else felt uncomfortable using the 27" at first? do you get used to it quickly? I was happy with my old 20" screen and only really went for the 27 for the internal specs.

2. donster28 macrumors 65816

You'll get used to it. It will eventually feel normal at some point in time.

Just be happy you have a perfect iMac. I'm one of the unlucky ones...I'm on my 5th in-store replacement tonight. :(

I suggest leaning back a bit further for now. :)

3. The General macrumors 601

Once you get used to it, you'll never go back to a smaller screen.

4. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

Must. Resist....

ah, I cant.
    THATS WHAT SHE SAID!

5. lexvo macrumors 65816

Before I bought my 27" I was wondering too if it would be too big (I had a PC with 17" screen).

But I got used to it very quickly. It is also the first screen on which I don't open applications 100% screen size anymore.

6. wildbill macrumors newbie

Man you beat me to it :)

Mine is set to arrive next week. I am worried that 27 inches is going to be too big, but I wanted the quad core chip, and 27 is the only way..so....27 it is.

7. Kehaan macrumors member

Hey.

Good to hear you have got one of the good versions :)

I had a 24" screen for my PC, but as i multitask a lot i am looking forward for the 27" iMac :) And even with the bigger screen resolution it will hopefully just be perfect.

From Kehaan.

8. MMM.PWR macrumors 6502

MMM.PWR

27" is awesome. It's not too big! And if Apple made a 32" iMac I'm sure people would buy that too. I know I would like to.

9. Kissaragi thread starter macrumors 68020

lol!

10. tombb macrumors member

I never have enough screen real estate (or disk space). Personally, I prefer fewer/bigger screens over more/smaller screens. Unfortunately, my preference is costly.

You'll quickly acclimate -- and then wonder how you got by with anything smaller. :)

11. slicecom macrumors 68020

It seemed big for the first day or so, now I'm used to it and it seems too small. I'm now awaiting the inevitable 32" iMac.

12. hakr macrumors regular

Too much horizontal, not enough vertical.
    Screen fonts too small.

13. 300D macrumors 65816

300D

27" is too small. I'm waiting for the 52" iMac before I buy.

14. hakr macrumors regular

That'll be 52" wide and 14" tall.

It would be so nice to see a full web page on my 27" iMac at full screen resolution.

15. 300D macrumors 65816

300D

Unfortunately it seems web designers lately have been making pages for 800x600 monitors.

16. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

I found the 27" to be just a hair too big. I had to move my head to see the corners (especially the top bar) where with my 22" monitor I just need to move my eyes.

17. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

You get over that in a day or so. Even the 30" starts to feel kinda small after a while.

18. Kissaragi thread starter macrumors 68020

Im just finding my eyes are aching and im starting to get a small headache after using it for an hour or so now.

Am i right in thinking i could send it back to apple within 7 days for a full refund under the distance selling regulations if i decide to? Or would there be a restocking fee? This is in the UK btw.

Also just did the proper yellow screen test, and yes, its yellow on the bottom third of the screen

19. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

Just tell them it's yellow and you want your money back.

20. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Maybe its too bright?

Tone it down with Shades.

Maybe its too close? Move it back a bit...

21. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

I don't think it's possible for a screen to be too big. I'd take a 52" iMac if they made one.

22. Bitwise macrumors member

The only time that I've felt uncomfortable during my 27" iMac experience is when I had to send it back for a replacement. Going back to a puny little 20" screen while waiting for my replacement to arrive was much more difficult than I thought it would be.

27" screen too big? Hah! Now that's just crazy talk.

23. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

I would say some discomfort is natural when moving up to a larger display. I got bad headaches and found myself having to sit back from my 23" Cinema Display for the first couple weeks after upgrading from a 17" LCD Studio Display. Now, it doesn't bother me at all anymore. I can imagine the jump to a 27" display from a 20" is probably about the same feeling.

24. MacMojo1 macrumors member

27" is not too big, crap I run a second monitor to run Logic's Mixer, Safari, Mail and all the other apps I don't need to stare at all the time.

Congrats, it is imposing at first but something you'll get used to soon enough.

25. Spike88 macrumors 6502a

I currently don't have a Mac. Thus, I don't know the answer for a Mac.

A few weeks ago, I upgraded my Win XP monitor from 19" to 24". Then, I went into Control Panel - Display - Advance and changed its 96 DPI to 126 DPI. Font size is now perfect - for my new 24" monitor. Can "font size" be increased on a Mac machine as well? If no native setting, does someone have a shareware tool - that will increase font size instead? Just wondering...