275/285/295/2G support in nvdarwin/corevidia

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by 10THzMac, May 1, 2009.

1. 10THzMac macrumors 6502

Apologies for the geeky posting - have gone a bit mad on this one....

Anyone know how to modify nvdarwin, or its successor corevidia, to allow the use of Nvidia GTX 275, 285 cards (for PCs, not the new thing due in June), the latter with either 1G or 2G on board, on an 08/09 Mac Pro?

I realize this is a bit obscure, but there is some evidence on various forums that the 260/280 can be got up under OS X, but nvdarwin and corevidia 1.0 (March 09 version) both seem to have hard-wired refs to the PCI IDs for both these cards in both the plist AND the binary code, and furthermore the settings only go up to 1G in the install options. The use of a 275, 285 (or a 295) and/or with more than 1G memory requires some mods? My card also seems to have a different NVCAP from those in the corevidia/nvdarwin defaults. I have tried various combinations of the following

(a) 40 or 80 in the memory area of the plist;
    (b) adding the 0x05e3 pci id code of my 285 to the plist (either adding it to the existing long list or having only this instead of the long list)
    (c) original NVCAP or custom NVCAP

I start to boot fine with a standard 8800GT in the lower slot on an 08 Mac Pro with the 285 in the slot above. Then all I get is kernel panics.:confused: All is well under bootcamp+XP. If anyone knows the mods for these newer cards, or can persuade the author of corevidia to update to add new IDs and memory I will be very happy. Responders may assume I have feasible OS.

2. 10THzMac thread starter macrumors 6502

Likely place for corevidia update info

I did a bit more hunting: The Core Vidia program was launched on this Portuguese site:

http://osx86tuga.com/index.php?showforum=7

in late March 09 and seems to be the place to go for any update on info about the nvdarwin/Core family. Downloads on both seem to be from here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=4b0f29826648271cab1eab3e9fa335ca585468e5d2ab7027

When we get a v1.1 or 2 with more PCI IDs, e.g. for 285/275/295 and different memory, it should be very interesting. I am probably going to wait for an update. If anyone has info on useful settings for more recent NVIDIA cards do let me know meantime.

3. 10THzMac thread starter macrumors 6502

CoreVidia 1.1 released

:)For those who like fiddling with injectors like nvdarwin and CoreVidia, a new version is available at:

http://www.mediafire.com/?qnhmm221mya
    :
    This now supports 285 cards for a non-efi post boot recognition with the right system, and adds support for other cards (275,295). I have not got to grips with it yet! Probably mainly for hackintosh owners right now, but a step in the right direction. NVCAP entries might need editing....

added in edit:looks like the posted 1.1 has a fixable gremlin in that the plist PCI IDs has not been updated to include 0x05E3 etc., though the program itself has.

4. netkas macrumors 65816

its useless as long as macosx has not drivers for gt200 chips.

those injectors , corevidia/nvkush/etc, is all same, it's easy to code one in less than a day.

5. 10THzMac thread starter macrumors 6502

It might well be easy for netkas - it is certainly not for me! Also, I have a triple boot Mac Pro with 10.5.6, another OSX, and Windows XP. And Core Vidia has allowed me to use a 285 to drive monitors now on two of my three startups and avoid kernel panics altogether. I agree it will be better with proper drivers, but right now I am grateful not to have to unplug the GPU power for any of my boot configs.

6. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

Is 285 drivers included in 10.5.7 that released today?

If so, can you use nvdarwin/corevidia to initialize OSX on a PC card and then have Mac OS using the card with the drivers?

7. 10THzMac thread starter macrumors 6502

Very timely question, but I will not have chance to check this through until the weekend. It all depends on the balance between what is in 10.5.7 and what is on the disks Nvidia ship with the Quadro and the Mac 285 (in worst case we have to wait to see if they diffuse to web). Could go either way. Will report back - netkas may have a quicker report on his own injectors!

8. netkas macrumors 65816

Its not

9. 10THzMac thread starter macrumors 6502

I agree with netkas - there are no updated kexts or anything else relevant. So the key bits must be all on the Nvidia "drivers" disc for the Quadro 4800 or 285 Mac versions.