$275 too high for my iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TaterToT, Jun 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TaterToT macrumors 6502

I've been trying to sell my iPhone 3gs black 16gb jailbroken and unlocked for $275 for the past week on craigslist. Is this too much, because I haven't gotten any offers besides those ones that say "give me your paypal and ship it to nigeria!" Do I need to lower my price?

2. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

That's way too low... check ebay completed listings!

3. elephunkman macrumors 65816

Try 350. You'll get people. Too low, and people will think something is either wrong or it was stolen.

4. TaterToT thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I started off at $300 and didn't get any offers so I thought it was too high and knocked it down to $275

5. Centient macrumors 6502

Agreed. I'm seeing UL/JB 16gb 3G going for $300ish. Guessing the same in a GS will garner more cash...

6. elephunkman macrumors 65816

well there will always be people that'll buy it. Depending on your city and its market, ebay may be a better route.

7. TaterToT thread starter macrumors 6502

Even if it isn't in perfect condition? It has a few scratches on the back (mainly apple logo) and on the chrome bezel. None on the screen.

8. ijen0311 macrumors 65816

ijen0311

I've got mine at $250 and very few bites. Most people want to pay around $200. But I think I've got someone lined up at $250. :D

9. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I just got $450 for my 8GB 3G that isn't even unlocked or jb'd. Crazy what people will pay for something that you could get 2 weeks ago for $99. I guess the fact that they can jb it and use it with T-Mobile without a contract is the incentive...?

10. Centient macrumors 6502

Do you have an ebay account? Do you have a positive feedback history on that account? If so, ebay might be your best bet.

Consider that you're reaching a much larger audience with ebay than your local CL. Plus you don't have to worry as much about getting jacked by meeting the buyer in person.

11. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

A day after the first Gizmodo leak of the iPhone 4, I sold my 32GB iPhone 3GS, not-unlockable, for $550 in 1 day after posting it on CraigsList.

A week before the 2010 keynote, I sold my 16GB iPhone 3G, unlocked and jailbroken, for $300 in 90 minutes after posting it on CraigsList.

I'm prepping another 16GB iPhone 3G for sale after I get it cleaned up.

Coincidentally, I sold my Sony PlayStation 3 80GB fat model with a handful of games for $300 after 1 day and a half of posting.

CraigsList has never failed me. All were sold locally. I suggest including pictures, be very descriptive, and include immediate contact information (I used TextFree's SMS feature so not as to throw my cell phone number unnecessarily).

There's still a market out there and it moves damn fast.

12. TaterToT thread starter macrumors 6502

That's the problem though I don't have an ebay account therefore have no feedback history so I doubt anyone would buy from me. Plus all the fees would probably put me out some.

13. elephunkman macrumors 65816

Yup, the unlocked ones go for way more just because of T-Mobile.

14. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I didn't advertise mine as unlocked. What do you have to do to unlock it?

15. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

Do you have a Mac? Use f0recast and see if it can be.

If it can, then use PwnageTool or blackra1n. Search for all of them on Google, they're easy to find.

16. Centient macrumors 6502

That's a problem.

FWIW I don't think $275 is too much to ask for your phone. Unless the other CL listings in your area for the same phone are going for around $275 atm.

Take some good pics, provide some clear details and try to repost. You've got a good, desirable product and I think you might just need to be a little patient.

17. TaterToT thread starter macrumors 6502

Already got the pics and details, I guess I just need to wait

18. digitalduck macrumors regular

19. stephanos180 macrumors member

Wow. Where are you?

20. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

Heck, I'm selling my 16GB iPhone 3G for $300 and I'm in Dayton, OH. Depending on the area, I would think you could definitely get more than that.

Make sure you have some really good pictures from a few different angles, and your description is well-written with no grammatical or spelling errors. It sounds silly, but people skip ads with no pictures or ones that are poorly written.

21. xenuprime macrumors 6502

I had my 16gb 3G with 2 incase sliders and some other stuff for 265 on craigslist and had no takers! I will wait for the unlock and try again.

22. stephanos180 macrumors member

e-Bay Posting Advice

Thanks for the help on this thread. Would you guys change anything about this listing? Any feedback would be appreciated.

23. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Thread closed based on Marketplace Rules (Rule: Eligibility). This rule applies to "for sale", "want to buy", and also "need price advice" threads.

See Marketplace Rule: Eligibility for further information.

Use Private Messages if you have further advice to offer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.