277MB data usage (before line was activated)?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dnjs, Feb 9, 2011.

1. dnjs macrumors member

I checked my Verizon account this morning and saw that I racked up 277MB worth of data charges at 5:40 am yesterday. The weird thing is that I didn't have my line activated until almost 3 hours later at 8:30 am because I used my husband's upgrade and wasn't able to switch it online. I got my phone Monday night and was able to sync with iTunes and transfer over apps/music but had to wait until Tuesday to activate the phone.

At 5:40 am yesterday, I was still sleeping. Plus, I have wi-fi at home, so if I used the phone, it shouldn't have accumulated Verizon data charges, right? I'm not a big data user (no streaming audio/video)... I mainly just check email. I'm going to check online again tomorrow to see if I have another big data charge. At least it's an unlimited data plan, but I don't want to be in the top user group. lol

Has anyone else had large data usage recorded and don't know what it's for? If there's a thread on a similar situation already out in the forums, sorry for posting.

Thanks!

2. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

3. dnjs thread starter macrumors member

LOL! Before getting my iPhone, I was on the 25MB/month plan and never exceeded it.

I did some searching and found out that this kind of phantom data usage during the night/early morning is a known problem for the iPhone and other smartphones... yay for me. It sounds like I'm going to have to turn off my 3G and any notifications at night. :mad:

4. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

I had some phantom usage too and I did something with iTunes about not sending Apple any crash data or something to that effect, and it helped a lot. It seems when you click on "send crash data to apple" it may send it via cellular network at night..

5. dnjs thread starter macrumors member

Okay, thanks! I will check that out when I get home tonight.