27in ACD Backlight Bleed

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mrt209, Feb 2, 2011.

1. mrt209 macrumors 6502

Hi,

I just got a 27in ACD today and I absolutely love it! :D Had a dell u2311h but didn't like it and it had some issues so decided to return it and spend the extra money on an ACD, which was definitely worth it!

The only thing that's noticeable is some backlight bleed in the left and right lower corners. It's not extremely bad, but my question is if all ACDs have backlight bleed? If not and there's a possibility of me getting one with out backlight bleed then I'll get an exchange, but if all have some backlight bleed then I'll just keep it.

I had 2,3 iMacs before and they all had backlight bleed so not sure if its the same with the ACD.

Thanks!

2. Transporteur macrumors 68030

What exactly to you mean with backlight bleed?

If you mean lighter corners, that is completely normal as Apple monitors (as well as 99% of all other IPS displays) don't have a polariser.
    Center your head to the corners, and the lighter areas should disappear.

3. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

I think they're all like that. As long as you're not staring at a black screen 24/7 (which most people don't do, I hope), you should be fine. You're not going to notice it under normal usage.

4. mrt209 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, I'll just keep it. I notice it a bit when I watch movies from an angle but I wont return it since I would risk getting one with worse backlight bleed.

With a light background I don't notice it so its fine :)

5. Transporteur macrumors 68030

As I said, that's because of a missing polariser. Even if you return it, your replacement unit will have the same issue.

Here is an image of a panel with and without polariser. If you don't sit directly in front of the screen, blacks are not black any more. Considering the physical size of screens today, the edges will be a little bit lighter. The bigger the display, the worse this gets.

[​IMG]

6. dsc888 macrumors 6502

Yes. They are ALL like that. I too have the 27" ACD and mine is bleeding through the lower left and right corners. I've checked out about 15 of these 27" ACDs from several Apple stores and they all bleed. The 27" iMacs were the same. And yes, it's due to the lack of the polarizer which was done to save money.

I briefly had the Dell U2711 and it too had light bleed at the bottom corners. That panel is almost the same as the one in the 27" ACD so it's really a universal thing. I've gotten used to it and don't get too bothered by it. Otherwise the display is excellent.

7. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

When I had my 27" ACD (returned it yesterday) I did notice backlight bleeding on the bottom left and bottom right corners. I believe its normal (just about every display I've owned had some degree of backlight bleeding) and while it was apparent during a solid black color, I thought it wasnt really that bad.

I sure do miss the display as it was freaking gorgeous but I came to the conclusion that the 27" + the 16:9 size was kind of an odd size and I was better off with a dual monitor setup.

For me it was oddly shaped because I couldnt really use it as just 1 display (the display wasnt big enough to use two webpages side by side comfortably for example). In the end, I prefer a 23"-24"x2 display where I can do one things at a time on each monitor.

8. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

Just to clarify things a bit - what you guys are experiencing isn't really backlight bleed in the usual sense that the backlight is bleeding through the edges due to an imperfect fit. Instead what you guys are seeing is called "white glow" which affects all LCDs (but especially IPS displays) without a Polarizer. If the amount of glow changes with the angle that you look at the display, then its white glow. If the glow is static and doesn't change no matter where you move, then thats backlight bleed.