27in Apple Cinema Display low resolution on Windows 7

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by USAF - 1, Dec 15, 2011.

1. USAF - 1 macrumors newbie

Hi all:

I've got a new 27 in Cinema display and I am having a problem with getting it to adjust to its native resolution while using a new Lenovo thinkpad T420s with Windows 7 64 bit. The maximum resolution Windows will allow is 1280x720, and will not allow me to go any higher. I have tried both the Atlona dvi-MDP adapter, and just using a displayport-minidisplayport adapter, but nothing seems to work. Yes, i've plugged in the USB cord from the ACD to the PC as well.

There is nothing wrong with the monitor, it works fine and will display the full resolution when using a mac.

When I attach my Lenovo to my 27in iMac and use it as a monitor, using the displayport to mini displayport adapter it displays in its full native resolution no problem.

Anyone come across this issue? Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks!!

2. USAF - 1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Further update, when just connecting the ACD to the laptop directly using the displayport it will display in native resolution. However, when using the docking station and attempting to connect a 1920x1200 dual monitor the ACD reverts to 1280x720. I think this may be a limitation of the docking station and/or video card. Any thoughts?

3. funwithdesign macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

This is going to be a cable limitation. Displayport and mini displayport support dual link which is required for the full res. as soon as you start throwing in adapters, dual link goes out the window and you are stuck with the lower res.