27inch 2011 imac gpu dead, backup options?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by torquex, Nov 24, 2013.

1. torquex, Nov 24, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2013

torquex macrumors newbie

Hi, I have a 27" 2011 iMac with serial a number ending in DHJW which I have found out is among some being recalled for GPU issues:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS5167

I have just experienced these exact issues but unfortunately I am not sure how to back up my hard drive before sending it off! I did have an external drive I was backing up onto but I had to order a new one because it had developed a fault - talk about bad timing!

1. Do I have any options for backing up before I sent it off? As far as I know filesharing and screensharing are switched off. Preferably I'd like to back the whole drive up with carbon copy cloner, but failing that just backing up the most important files would do.

2. Will apple supply a box? I don't have the original and roughly how long would it take to fix?

Thanks for any help.. :)

Forgot to note that the screen is now totally black on startup so obviously I can't do anything without logging in remotely..?

2. Bear macrumors G3

If you have 2 Macs and both have either Firewire or Thunderbolt, you can try and boot the iMac into Target Disk Mode. See Transfer files between two computers using target disk mode - note that for FireWire it applies to any version of OS X and for Thunderbolt any version of OS X that supports Thunderbolt.

3. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

You should be backing up any how, using CCC, SuperDuper or Time Machine are all excellent solutions. As far as the box, give AppleCare a call and ask them that question and you other questions.

4. torquex thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Bear, that seems like a good option for backing up the most important files. I'm guessing there is no way to do a full backup to my standalone backup disk though?

The iMac has 1 firewire port and 2 thunderbolt ports.
    My macbook air just has the one thunderbolt port.
    I have an older iMac with a a firewire port too.
    My external disk works over firewire.

Are any other options for a full backup here (preferably with CCC)?

5. Dopeyman macrumors 6502a

I'm going to sway a little bit off your original topic about backing up....

I went through this recall situation.. Even though I had a TM backup, my machine came back with everything still on the hard drive... So it wasn't even touched.... I was able to boot into it at the store before I left...

Why would you want the original box? You can just take it in to an Apple Store as-is..

I took my machine in on the 18th of August (just looked at my receipt) and picked it up on the 23rd... It was actually ready on the 22nd but I couldn't make it that day...

Good Luck!