Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dustin Powers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2015
Hi Folks,

My 2007 MBP's LCD finally gave out a few months ago and I've been waiting to upgrade to a desktop. I want to purchase a new 27inch entry level iMac, but could anyone be so kind to provide some advice? I intend to use my future desktop for web browsing, Microsoft Office programs (primarily Excel for medium-large data sets, I work in government finance), and sometimes running Windows (for some work programs).

Would the set up of the entry level with an upgrade of the 256gb flash hd suffice? I need to transfer all my documents, photos, and files from my broken MPS to the iMac. I think I had 80gb worth of stuff on it. I'm not sure if 256gb would be enough for new OSX, Windows, and my old mbp's files.

Also, does anyone have advice as to how I can transfer the data for my broken mbp to the iMac? The mbp turns on, but the screen is completely blank (unless it's in safemode).

Thanks,

Dustin

whodatrr

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2004
256 SSD is a very fast drive. I went 3TB Fusion, which is screaming fast as well. Just don't go with the standard spinner or the 1TB Fusion drive, as they'll be slower.

And the new display is a dream for spreadsheets!

Beware, you'll never want to use Excel on a smaller screen again... LOL

Dustin Powers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2015
Thanks, everyone. I apologize if this is a common thread/topic/question that people frequently ask. But I'm not super tech savvy and I'm unsure how the transfer of the old mbp's files would affect performance on a 256 SSD. I don't plan on having too much stuff, so a 512 SSD drive should be more than sufficient. In general, is a SSD much more durable than a regular HD? I'm looking to use this computer 5+ years, so I want to make it as fast as possible around a $2K - $2.2K budget.

whoadatrr-- I can't wait to use a bigger screen, seriously. My work laptop is too small and my eyes are actually getting worse over the years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.