27inch iMac + 30 inch Display's x2 + Dual 2.5 G5

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Lucasjackson80, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Lucasjackson80 macrumors newbie

So, I'm thinking about purchasing either a new tower or an iMac.
    The G5, I have currently is just simply not fast enough to keep up.
    I'm editing a ton of HD footage etc.

My question is, I currently own two 30 inch cinema displays & a dual 2.5 g5 Power PC, with 8 gig of DDR SDRAM.

Should I simply purchase a new/faster tower?
    Or can I in some way connect the a suped up 27inch iMac to BOTH monitors AND also somehow run the g5 at the same time for other processing?

This may be a total newbie kinda question, but, stay with me... I'm just trying to figure out the right way to go...thanks!!!

Warmly,
    LJ

2. sliceofman macrumors newbie

Well in general u could buy a mini dvi to dvi adapter so u can use the 30 inch screen for a new 27" iMac but i'm not sure if there is a cable that splits the signal btn 2 different screens 2 use both, so… eh thats a hard decision really. More or less they are both amazing machines and if u have a couple 30" screens u might as well stick with them and get a tower, unfortunately with that if u want to see any graphics difference with editing any new computer will be faster but the new screen on the 27 has amazing details.

3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

The iMac would only be able to be connected to one of the two monitors. Your best option would be to buy a Mac Pro, perhaps look at the 2008 Mac Pros, as they are a bit of a better value used. The current Quad cores are more limited when it comes to upgradability.

4. Lucasjackson80 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you Slice.

User: Do you mean to say that the 2008 mac pro is going to be faster than the g5 2.5 dual that I have now with 8 gigs of Ram and able to support two 30 inch displays? If so, how much do you suppose they go for used.

Also, just to be clear...there is no real way of running both computers together, correct. One can't be a server or what not...? Total newbie. Thanks

Thanks,
    LJ

5. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

A new Mac Pro will be faster than your G5, this is a given. A new iMac will be faster than your G5. It's a great machine, but pretty old now, sadly. :/

You could keep the G5 to use a render farm. That would save your some downtime on the new computer - edit on the Mac Pro, send it to the G5 to render, that way you can keep editing in the meantime.

If you opted for the 27" iMac, you could always sell one of the 30" displays for a decent sum. That would make the iMac a fairly inexpensive upgrade. Upgrading to a new Mac Pro, OTOH, would be much more costly.

6. ClassicII macrumors 6502

ClassicII

You could get a used 2006-2007 MacPro that would do what you need for about 2k refurb at apple.com

You could buy the same used machine for hundreds less used on ebay.