27inch iMac purchase Help!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iWoz, Nov 6, 2009.

  1. iWoz macrumors 6502a


    Jan 12, 2009
    East Midlands, U.K
    hmm Im so tempted to just go pick the c2d 27'imac this weekend

    I need to go to an Apple store on Sunday as my girlfriend is getting the new macbook, I was going to wait for the i5 and save up money till it comes out, but im thinking now do I really need the more powerful chip?

    for me theres £215 difference in the price between c2d and i5

    £1160.14 with Uni discount - c2d
    £1375.14 with Uni discount - i5

    Bearing in mind I want this to last for atleast 3/4 years

    I use iTunes/Office/ some photo editing/ Downloading music/ Watching Films/Using Eyetv/ probably installing windows 7 via parallels or VMWare
    Will I really use the quad core technology to it's potential. I understand the "future proofing idea" But I cant see it not lasting me 3/4 years on c2d.

    Some advice?

    Maybe from someone who has the c2d model already?
  2. velocityg4 macrumors 601


    Dec 19, 2004
    As I replied in another thread. Get the Core i5 model. It is a superior CPU and will have a much longer useful life than the Core 2.

    Normally I recommend the cheaper models. But in this case I never would.
  3. mac-ho macrumors member

    I'm waiting for the quad also. I was in the Apple Store yesterday. I knew the dual would fit my needs. I also knew in a few months I would wish I had waited for the quad. Waiting time go's slower than Having time. Regretting Time bugs me the most!
  4. danjames99 macrumors member


    Oct 10, 2006
    Similarly, I'm wondering whether I should wait, myself. Mac stuff always seems to rush in with changes right after an initial lineup change. Anyone think there's a value to wait until after New Year's to buy an i5 for any price drops or deals or the like? Anyone have Spidy Sense tingling?

    I suppose I can wait, although my P4 computer is literally wheezing from age. (CPU fan held on by rubber bands -- still runs Win7, fingers crossed...)
  5. velocityg4 macrumors 601


    Dec 19, 2004
    The revised iMac was just released and is a major update. Based on Apple's previous update cycle's I would not expect any changes to the iMac for at least 6 months but seems to be around every 8 months. Even then the update will be likely be to a slightly faster Core i7 1156 from the i5. Unless Intel introduces a cheap low power mobile quad core to stick in the 20".

    The only moderate update I see to the 27" by then would be a Radeon 5850 with possibly 1GB VRAM.

    There will not be any price drops until a new iMac is released. I can't even recall the last time a Mac has dropped in price without a line update. Though I am fairly sure it has happened once or twice in the last 10 years. It was a bit more common in the era of Mac II's.

    If you need a new computer and the current iMac satisfies your needs buy now otherwise wait.
  6. MacKiddyWiddy macrumors 6502

    Aug 18, 2009
    core i5 for sure... much more futureproof in my opinion [​IMG]

Share This Page