280 days refresh on average. So.......?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by NextGenApple, Feb 7, 2012.

1. NextGenApple, Feb 7, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2012

NextGenApple macrumors regular

Going by this site the refresh should be due anytime, or is it? Ivy Bridge is supposedly not due until April, Will Apple get these chips early?

I know, know one knows when an iMac will be due but seen as the longest refresh was 309 days & iPad 3 has yet to be released when is this thing likely to arrive? As it looks it could be a long wait. Would Apple really go over a year before refresh?

I feel to just purchase one of the iMacs out now, but would be disappointed if the iMac was redesigned. Spec wise the Sandy Bridge iMacs are very beastly, So wouldn't care for the extra graphics on Ivy Bridge as i don't game or do intensive 3d work.

Where is the man that said last year imacs where on the ship? due in for april may? lol

2. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

This.

Will Apple get early access? Maybe. But what is considered early? A week? Two weeks? Maybe.

3. simsaladimbamba

Those 280 days refresh cycle is just a statistical average calculated by the past durations.
    Apple will most likely refresh the iMac in April to June.

Maybe have a look at Advanced Search to find dozens of similar threads:
    [​IMG]

4. jwm2 macrumors regular

Apple will release it when its ready. They don't pay any attention to the charts on macrumors. While they probably do have a product cycle, its not nearly as important as getting a quality finished product out the door, rather than releasing it half baked and full of issues.

5. NextGenApple thread starter macrumors regular

So go ahead a buy one now? Don't want to seem like the people in the samsung adds waiting & waiting. Lol

6. simsaladimbamba

If you need it now, and don't want to wait for two to four (or more) more months, buy now.

7. NextGenApple thread starter macrumors regular

Some say its best to buy at the end of a circle so all the problems with chips,Os etc have been ironed out, Then some say don't buy newly released products so not to be a guinea pig., faults,yellow screen etc

Can someone give me the benefits of buying now with Sandy bridge or waiting for ivy Bridge. Any Rumors of redesign etc

8. simsaladimbamba

They are already listed several times in dozens of threads.
    The gist of it: IB is 20% faster than SB in CPU intensive tasks, thus if you use the CPU to its full potential, a wait might give you a speed benefit, but also a time, where you can't use that computer, because you wait.
    Rumours of a redesign point to higher resolution screens, maybe, but no redesign. But in the end, we don't know. Only Apple knows.

9. Dorje Sylas macrumors 6502

Shaft Samsung with a long stick. It's only prudent to wait for the refresh cycle if you don't absolute NEED it right now. Samsung doesn't get it because they chuck out product every few months and expect people to buy new all the time. Apple updates less often so the jumps are often more important.

Aside from new hardware the other side is to buy the old model at a discounted price when the new comes out.

You aren't being a Sheeple-Fanlamb for waiting, you being a prudent consumer. Which Samsung hates because they want Sheeple buying their Shovelware every quarter.

10. jwm2 macrumors regular

I consider myself a moderate pc user. Meaning i run my businesses from my pc , i do search engine optimization, graphics design, web design and basic tasks like email, Facebook, twitter, moderate gaming (portal 2, modern combat, gta vice city), web browsing etc. I've never seen my pc use more than 40-50% of its cpu or more than half the ram i've got installed (16gb). I bought the entry level iMac as my wife would have killed me if i bought anything more expensive during this economy, but i couldn't be happier.

If you do a lot of 3d modeling and etc then you'd be considered a heavy user, but you'll have to decide for yourself if you need more power or not. If i never see my cpu being used 100% then it does no good to upgrade. If you find yourself in the same boat then the entry level mac should keep you happy for several years to come.

11. NextGenApple thread starter macrumors regular

Cheers bud, it's a lot of money to smack down on a Mac so I want to be prudent & make the right choice. Not to bothered on this Sandy Bridge mac v Ivy Bridge, just don't want to miss out on a redesign if it happens. I know the tick tock effect is not major compared to the jump from C2D.

12. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Higher resolution screens are a possibility, but I don't believe you'll see iphone like displays given the cost in scaling such a technology upward. The rumors haven't been based on anything, and I'm wondering if Intel can really hit those anticipated speed gains. On the air and 13" pro, the gpu bump should be decent assuming they work with Apple to get the drivers just right.

A quick search could have shown you that this has been asked way too many times, yet all of the rumor of a redesign are pure speculation from people who are hoping for one (and because it hasn't changed aesthetically in a couple years). I wouldn't expect anything major. I especially wouldn't expect thinner considering the chips will still be quite hot.

Why does everyone always ask this? It happened once or twice early in the Intel/Apple relationship. They aren't on as great of terms now, so do not expect heavy preferential treatment. With macbook pros and airs, those are high volume devices, so production will need to ramp up before you really start to see them. This further conflicts with early access. The point is don't count on it ever happening again. Apple does most likely receive engineering samples for testing.

13. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

if you buy refurbished now is a good time. since even if an imac was released it would be 8 months until it hit the refurbished section. so you would be waiting alot longer. if you buy new then id wait. especially if you have a working mac. but thats just me.

14. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

If you really need a computer, why not get it now ?

What happened to people buying things because they needed or wanted it, even if something newer came out tomorrow it doesn't mean the one you just bought stops working.
    There will always be a newer model coming out so I'm guessing some just have to have that piece of mind of having the most current item right now but that only lasts for... 280 days on avg.

You won't make a bad choice by buying a computer today.

15. NextGenApple thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your wise words my friend. I do graphic design, Create web sites, and do Hd video editing of 3 to 7 minutes. Would the base line mac be fine for this? Think i'll just go and purchase one if i get the right answers back.

16. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

No rumors of a redesign, but what specifically are you going to use the computer for? IB is going to have an average 20% power increase over SB and SB blows the hell out of Arrandales. If most of your activity isn't CPU intensive, just buy now. Now if you were looking for a laptop, id advise you to wait because of IB lower power consumption.

----------

Baseline is fine for this.

17. NextGenApple thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks mate, and i agree with you. Not trying to be fussy or picky just wondering if i shop spend over £1200 on an 2011 imac when i could by 2012, i do know the 11 models are very good though.

----------

Thank you for your input, I heed your words.

18. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

I personally have a gut feeling we'll see a redesign with higher resolution screens. I don't know why, but I feel the iMac is at its end and Apple's given its "all" to it. Says so on their website, "We've given it all we've got." It's probably nothing, but that says to me Apple's ready to move on to a new design.

Unsubstantiated and pure speculation mixed with personal desires and a gut feeling, so I will likely be wrong.

19. davys macrumors regular

Well said Sir - a good statement, nicely argued!

20. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

It comes down to this:

If you absolutely need a new computer then go ahead b/c the lost productivity is going to cost you more.

If you don't need one today, just soon, then you have to ask yourself this: If I buy one today and an updated one comes out in a week, month, two months, will I feel disappointed? If no, they buy now, if yes, then waiting a bit longer isn't going to kill you.

If you don't need one today the "smart money" is to wait because the current one is long in the tooth and the Ivy Bridge iMac is going to be useful longer, if only because it will be "current" the day you buy it rather released 9+ months ago.