2880x1800 users, any tips/tweaks?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bleomycin, Aug 17, 2012.

1. bleomycin macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone using their rMBP daily at native 2880x1800 had any tips for tweaking OS X/certain applications to make them slightly more usable? I've seen the thread about running linux/windows at 75 DPI but i do not know if that is possible under OS X? Do most of you just set minimum font sizes in browsers like chrome, or a default zoom? Is there any way to slightly enlarge the tabs and general menu's?

I feel like if most items on screen could be just about 15% larger i would be extremely pleased, but if that isn't possible just slightly larger tabs in chrome would be pleasant. I'd love to hear about any other misc settings and tweaks everyone runs! Thanks!

2. stevelam macrumors 65816

if you need to do this daily, you bought the wrong machine and are not ready for bleeding edge tech.
    trying to run native 2880 res on a tiny 15" screen = laughable.

3. inlinevolvo macrumors 6502

Do you feel better now you got that off your chest?

4. PS65 macrumors 6502

Sorry, I can't think of any real way to increase the menu size etc (which I imagine is the main problem?). I am not sure if there are any other soft solutions out there?

Are you looking for more screen real estate, generally?

Really useful comment - did you even read the question?

5. ninja2000 macrumors 6502

I have been running windows at native with 125% dpi and it is amazing. I love the real estate! Everything is tiny but still easy to read due to the quality of the screen.

I would love to be able to do the same in OSX. I am currently running 1920x1200 which is still great but more = better for me :)

6. Yuke macrumors member

Unless you have exceptional vision, it's probably not really practical to run in native 2880 all the time. But, there's a very easy way to switch back and forth so you can get the native res (or higher!) when you need it.

Retina Display Menu
    http://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/vi9yf/set_your_retina_macbook_pros_resolution_to/

Supports up to 3840x2400, works like a charm. Definitely part of my "necessary apps" set for the rMBP.

I change resolution based on what I'm doing. For just browsing or reading, 1440x900 HiDPI. For work, 1920x1200 (non-HiDPI, at least until they do a bit more optimization on the downsampling). I generally don't run 2880x1800 unless someone wants to see what things look like at native resolution.

That's the real beauty of this display, I think - no matter what resolution you're running at, it looks pretty great. Instead of being "stuck" at native res, it's basically "how much desktop space do I need at the moment?"