28GB base Win7 install on Bootcamp?!

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by mankymanning, Jun 15, 2011.

1. mankymanning macrumors regular

I just chose 32GB for a Bootcamp partition then installed Windows 7 + SP1 (i.e. the install media already has SP1 included rather than downloading later.

After install I only had about 2GB space left - has anyone else noticed this? I was using Ultimate edition, I wonder if I should go for Pro or Home Premium instead. It is just for me to try a few games out.

I am trying to keep the partition size down as I don't want to waste SSD space on it.

A second question is can I install the BC partition on the hard drive in my iMac instead, I read a few things saying it could only be on the boot drive of the Mac?

2. Hibernia macrumors member

Wow that is a lot. I'm due in the post today or tomorrow my copy of windows 7 Home Premium and plan on doing my first attempt at bootcamp , like you just to play the odd pc game.

I was planning on alloctating 50Gb thinking that would be enough for Windows , my City of Heroes MMO and hopefully the new Star Wars MMO.

Now i think i'll have to revise my GB estimate going by what you've found. I suppose i have 500gb on my new 2011 Imac so maybe 100GB will do.

Be interested in hearing what any others users use in GB allocation to Bootcamp.

3. vistadude macrumors 65816

Well 32 GB in mac counting is more like 25 GB the normal way space is counted. You probably have more than 10 GB RAM and a huge system restore partition, as well as 64 bit windows. The ultimate edition doesn't take up much more space than the professional edition, unless you copied the dvd to your hard disk before installing.

I have the 32 bit edition of windows 7 installed, 8 GB RAM, system restore set at 2% of my 30 GB partition, and hibernation disabled, shadow copies enabled (similar to time machine) as well as a lot of programs and about 8 GB worth of outlook data, and I'm only using about 22 GB space on my windows partition.

4. mankymanning thread starter macrumors regular

Of course! Completely forgot about the swap file, that's the culprit right there

5. encomium23, Jun 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2011

encomium23 macrumors newbie

Thanks for mentioning this.:)

Installed windows 7 pro 64bit

I set the partition at 30GB, The install left me with less than 5GB free and now only one day later im in the red with just 1.35GB free of 28.8GB

*EDIT* a simple prompt command of powercfg -h off and paging file to min 500MB max 1.5GB i now have 15.1GB free.. Thanks again Vistadude

6. vistadude macrumors 65816

Glad to hear! I've been wanting to install 64 bit too but was worried about how much space it takes up with the paging file. Now just waiting to see if anyone has a performance comparison of 32 and 64 bit on a MacBook/pro with 8 gb ram.

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

FWIW on heavily RAM intensive engineering software I was running on my 2009 MBP 32 bit to 64 bit (at that point with 4GB of RAM) was a 12-15% performance boost which was nothing to scoff at. The performance did not degrade after I upgraded to 8 GB.

B