$29 Snow Leopard upgrade disc questions

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by GtotheK, Dec 1, 2009.

1. GtotheK macrumors member

Hi guys,
    Looking to update to SL, currently running Tiger. Can I just buy the $29 upgrade, or do I have to buy the upgrade suite (~$169?). I've heard mixed reviews. Some say they can use just the upgrade. I'd do a clean (fresh) install. Does the upgrade not have the iLife?

Also,
    I would like to backup my system first, should I use SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner? Is it pretty straight forward? So if I do migrate my data when I install SL, is it like Time Machine, that everything automatically backs up? Or do you have to drag and drop things? Never used SuperDuper before.

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

You can use the $29 disc. it does not have iLife.

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

You can use your Snow Leopard disc, ethics aside.

4. GtotheK thread starter macrumors member

haha yes ethics aside :p

i heard some people had error messages while trying to install. any pointers in case they come up? i'm not sure if they were having problems upgrading from tiger to SL or doing a clean install. what's your advice.

so what should i do about iLife? if i back up with SuperDuper, can I migrate it over from the external backup? or can i use my 10.5 leopard disc that came with my macbook?

5. pdjudd macrumors 601

If you want iLife, you can either reinstall the old version from restore discs that you own, or you can buy a new version in store. Of course if you are allready going to be dropping cash on new versions of iLife plus SL upgrade, you might as well get the Mac Box Set and get iWork. Solves any ethical issues right there.

6. GtotheK thread starter macrumors member

the reinstall leopard dvd that came with my macbook? is that what you mean?