295x or Gen2 riMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by princered, Oct 23, 2014.

1. princered macrumors member

princered

So I've been reading that the display of the Retina iMac is far ahead of all the components of the computer, graphics card in specific. My concern is if I do buy the iMac with the 295X now, will the life span of the computer be shorter? Especially as technology advances and catches up to 5k, will the graphics card be able to hold its own (lets say... 5 years) from now. This will be my first iMac purchase and it took me a while to save for this. So obviously I don't want my $3,000 computer to not be capable in a few years, or even worse with another iPad 3rd Gen situation happening.

2. JediFragger, Oct 23, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2014

JediFragger macrumors newbie

Personally I'm only a light gamer and plan to game at 1280x720 (a division of the iMac's 5k res), so I think the 295x should last around 3 years at that kind of level (esp with the 4Ghz cpu upgrade). Maybe 4 if I'm lucky :cool:

edit - Also I think it'll handle 2560x1440 on less demanding games such as CS:GO, Gauntlet etc

3. cardfan macrumors 65816

I'm buying one. But my intent is to sell it when 5k monitors come out and I can get separate cpu. I don't typically like all in ones. But if you want 5k then this is it.

4. tillsbury macrumors 65816

Yes. As with any computer you buy today, in 5 years' time the graphics will suck but the rest of the computer will be fine for basic use. Either upgrade more often or get used to it.

5. hyune83 macrumors member

Is the 295x much more powerful than the 290x. I can't seem to find any benchmarks on it.

6. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

That is because it haven't been released yet. All talk about the 295X being unable to drive the iMac to satisfaction is purely based on speculation and rumors on specifications.

Until reviewers have the riMac in their hands, we can't know for sure.

7. iMcLovin macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

I gotta say life spand depends on your usage and how inpatient you are on getting the latest hardware. I would say the new iMac Retina with 295 is as up to date as previous iMacs are when they come out. Its great hardware, but you can always get faster machines if you are willing to pay or go pc. Personally computers havent reached the peak where perfomance does everything I need, so I want and preferably update the iMac every second update (ive even considered to update every year) and even though the iMac retina is super cool right now, it wont be in 2 years, but it will be a decent machine nonetheless. If all you do is websurf it will last 5-10 years.

8. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Technology will always advance. If you need/want the computer now, then buy now. If you don't, then wait for the next one when you do. However, you could end up waiting forever because something newer and better will always be around the corner. I don't see the point of carrying this worry. Life can be stressful enough already. Obviously it's a good idea to consider the realities, like, is the Mac due for an upgrade, then perhaps it's better to wait, but asking questions like this when the computer came out a week ago seems frivolous, in my opinion.

I don't get this concept of "the lifespan of a computer" that people have come up. The computer will keep working even when a newer model comes out. Just because a newer model comes out, it does not mean that you computer somehow becomes slower than it was. If your old computer is no longer fast enough to do what you need it do, or the newer computer can speed up your tasks, or give you more enjoyment, then you upgrade. We're not talking about getting married for life here. We're talking about a box with circuits here.

This is especially pertinent when one considers Macs, because it has been proven over and over again that you can quite easily sell every year, or every two years, and buy the newer model without taking a huge financial bath. When you work out the total cost of ownership per day of doing this, it is actually quite a reasonable proposition.

(Having said that some of us are hoarders and find it hard to get rid of our Macs, even when getting another one :eek: )

9. Melodeath macrumors 6502a

You want to know if the graphics card will hold its own in 5 years? I really don't think so. I'm not an expert, but I'm pretty sure any graphics card does not "last" that long. If my own computer history has taught me anything, in 3 years you will probably think the 295X is pathetic haha

10. nrubenstein macrumors 6502

The 3rd gen iPad was slow when it was released. The Retina iMac is not slow, with the exception of limitations for gaming. In five years, it'll be perfectly fine for normal use and likely basically useless for (current) games.

...but the reality is that if you are at all serious about gaming, you should build a PC. Buying a Mac for games is a fantastic exercise in frustration. You will never be happy.

11. leenak macrumors 68020

I don't think the 295x will have a shorter lifespan than any other video card you would get in the iMac. Technology moves but it depends on your usage whether the 295x will seem old in 3 years. If you need the absolutely latest games, no matter what iMac you get, I'd look to sell it in 3 years and upgrade.

12. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

While you're searching for benchmarks, you should look for the reason why not many exist. All it takes is just a little bit of attention to figure out why.

Bryan

13. princered thread starter macrumors member

princered

I was referring mostly to the technology of the screen. Yes 5 years might be a bit excessive. But the display has the potential to handle future technology. That isn't being used. how close we are to regularly using such high displays for things like gaming/video editing. I just don't know much about the graphics card and I don't want it to be a bad purchase next year. for my uses now this computer is more than capable, but i plan on doing more and more. I guess I'll just have to see then. I'm looking forward to my purchase and thanks for the feedback. I'm definitely going to "hoard" my first iMac