$2999 for nMP, great! Log on to Australian store, however...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Jeremy M., Oct 22, 2013.

1. Jeremy M. macrumors member

And the price is $1,000 on top of that!

To move up to the next model, 6-core, costs $5,200... So another $300 on top of the $900 to move up a model!

Now, I know the price of in U.S is exclusive of tax, but it's a little ridiculous don't you think?
    I'm sure that my fellow Aussies and I are not the only ones to see this crazy difference in price. I'm sure if I log onto the UK site, I would see something pretty similar.

What's the go here? Can anyone explain to me the difference?

NB: At this moment in time, 1 AUD = 0.97 USD

2. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Sales tax is not everything. A higher cost of product results from a higher cost of doing business. Look to business taxes, real estate costs, import duties, labor costs, etc.

Isn't your minimum wage like 3 times higher? Isn't real estate crazy expensive? I don't really know, but I randomly hear about these things.

It's not just Apple stuff. Compare prices of most cars in AUS vs USA. You guys pay a lot.

3. scottrichardson macrumors 6502

These are also now assembled in the USA, so we're probably paying higher shipping costs to get them to Australia rather than everything else which ships from Singapore or Hong Kong to Australia.

4. Jeremy M. thread starter macrumors member

We sure do pay a lot more.

Even for things which don't require extra expenditure on the business entity themselves. i.e. Software (Up to 30% more in some cases (!))

This type of thing has actually been taken up with Australian Government, which considers it unfair trading practices.

And I do think that there may be some type of increase in pricing, however, I don't think that an increase of approx. 35% on original pricing is considered standard. Especially if this increase rises linearly with additions and model configurations, rather than a bulk or set amount on top of a product.

I know nothing will really change from this post. I'm just expressing my dissatisfaction towards the prices, that's all.

Source: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-03-22/apple-microsoft-grilled-over-high-prices/4587900

5. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

6. MacMilligan macrumors 6502

Isn't that always the case? Aren't console games 90USD or more in Australia?