29w charger benefits for 9.7 pro?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Gregintosh, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

I heard the 29w charger helps charge the 12.9 inch pro faster. I was wondering if it does the same for the 9.7 inch pro. Does anyone have experience with this?

2. TheRealAlex macrumors 65816

Yeah a toasted battery. Coming from the world of hobby RC cars charging rates of Lithium batteries are very particular too fast too high of a current and you can swell the soft gel pack.

3. ZebraDude macrumors 6502a

ZebraDude

No! Apple did not build in the higher current charger.

4. bhodinut macrumors member

bhodinut

If I recall correctly the Apple ports on all their devices limit the current to the battery. I always plug my lightning to USB cable into an Anker 29W charger. I've never had any issues or noticed any battery heating. Heck. I charge my pencil with the same 29W adapter.

5. mpetrides macrumors member

The 9.7 inch IPP only supports USB 2. The rapid charge feature requires USB 3, meaning it's only available on the 12.9 inch IPP.

6. Bbqthis macrumors 6502a

Bbqthis

Smart phones are a little more sophisticated. They're designed to only take in the highest wattage they can safely handle. Only problem with using the 29w brick with the 10" Pro is you're spending 75 usd on something that charges as well as the brick in the box.

7. friedmud macrumors 65816

My friend bought one of these today for his 12.9" iPP. It was awesome! REALLY fast charge... similar to an iPhone. I'll be picking one up this weekend for my 12.9".

If it doesn't work with the 9.7 that's a pretty huge bummer!

8. ZebraDude macrumors 6502a

ZebraDude

it doesn't work with the 9.7! Sorry!

9. Gregintosh thread starter macrumors 68000

Well that's too bad. :-( I guess ill be saving some money on not getting the charger or cable then.

10. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

Charging with the provided charger is not that slow, about the same speed as my Air 2 did. I never can run a battery out during the day so I charge at night while sleeping about every other day when it gets down to about 50%.

11. WickedPorter macrumors regular

WickedPorter

The 29W charger does work with the 9.7" Pro, but it won't use all of the available power. The charging circuit in the iPad will draw the maximum wattage it can handle, which I *think* is 12W (2.4A @ 5V).

12. Wando64 macrumors 6502

I am curious as to the reasons for this.
    Can you tell me where did you get this information from?

13. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

Spot on. If you use all Apple original cables and chargers, regardless of what combination you use the device will draw its maximum power and charge as fast as it can safely.

The same is not necessarily true when using cheap unbranded cables/chargers. Caution is key with those as many don't include any of the filtering and overcharging protection that the Apple products (and good quality third party products) include.

The possibility of destroying your device with cheap charging equipment is a real one. As a rule of thumb for eBay and such. If it looks too good to be true, it is.

14. friedmud macrumors 65816

Not a problem for me... I have a 12.9. Definitely a bummer for all of the 9.7 folks though!

15. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

As mentioned before, most devices only draw what they need. If you hook a 29w charger to ANY iPad or iPhone, the device will only draw what it was designed to draw. Nothing more. The batteries won't swell and explode just because a charger's output current is high. Voltage is the only concern.

16. magbarn macrumors 68000

What were you charging at? 8C? Even at 29 watts, the ipad 9.7 pro's battery would be only charged around 1C. I've yet to kill any RC battery packs at 1C charging rate. I've charged them plenty of times safely at 4C without nary a hitch with a quality balancing charger like my Revolectrix... Swelling packs are usually from poor quality cells, leaving them 100% charged for days at high temps, charging while hot, or using a cheap charger. Apple uses high quality lithium cells...

17. bitslap47 macrumors 6502a

bitslap47

Correct.

And since the charger supplied with the 9.7 is 10W, using the 29W charger will likely provide some benefit as it will support 20% increase in wattage during charging.

18. Mr.C macrumors 601

Personally I only buy official chargers and cables. If I was to buy third party ones for my iOS devices then they would have to be MFI certified. I wouldn't risk using anything that wasn't.

19. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

I'm much the same. The only thing I use to charge that's not an Apple device is an Anker 60W desktop multi port charger.

But even then, before I used it with my iOS devices I tested it with my USB power meters to make sure it delivered a properly regulated supply. (Yes I'm ridiculously over the top at times :D)