2D Barcode scanner

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by spydr, Aug 18, 2008.

1. spydr macrumors 6502

spydr

Anyone know of a good barcode scanning application – one which can scan through the iPhone camera and come up with product description, reviews, prices etc? I would imagine it will be quite useful for comparison shopping.

2. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Correct me if I'm wrong but dont you require 'laser diodes' to sense the barcodes?:confused:

Besides, you'll require your iPhone ''attached'' to the database of the store's barcode registry!

3. YouArentJ macrumors member

YouArentJ

Or.... you could take notes and/or use the internet :)

4. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Much more useful! Besides, when will the 2 MP camera come in handy?

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

to snap future upcomming apple products when you just happen to walk by something important?????

i capture stupid stuff with my phone lol..

6. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

No, it can be done with pictures

http://www.delicious-monster.com/

7. Mobile923 macrumors 6502

they kinda did this a long time ago... anyone remember the "CueCat?"

I got one free at Radio Shack a few years back...

http://cuecat.com/

8. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

I got neo reader which was free, but has YET to read anything with the camera. On the other hand, you can type inthe bar code number and get all the info you want. Theres also a good web app out there called Price Checkah which actually shows you three of four prices for that item in the most common internet stores like ebay, amazon, ect.

9. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

There's one simply called "Barcode" that translates the square, digital barcodes.

I mean these:

http://images.google.com/images?sou...nUS229US229&q=square barcode&um=1&sa=N&tab=wi

So, NOT the standard one with all the vertical lines, which is what I think you're asking about.

All 'Barcode' does is translate what it the squares mean in English...it doesn't link you to anything or send you anywhere.

So, not exactly what you're looking for, but you might want to check it out. It does it with the camera so I'm sure what you're looking for is possible and may come out some day.

10. kwjohns macrumors 6502a

kwjohns

I don't think I've ever even seen a 2d barcode on anything but shipped packages.

11. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

LOL:D

<suddenly stops laughing>

You kidding right?:confused:

12. kwjohns macrumors 6502a

kwjohns

Nope. What products have you seen them on?

All I ever see are:

[​IMG]

13. oldschool macrumors 65816

oldschool

14. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

15. polobruce macrumors member

impossible

It's pretty much impossible to read a 2d pdf417 barcode with the camera. Plus the speed of capturing and then decoding which usually means uploading to a server having it try to read and then downloading it is way too slow.

I'm looking at developing a scanner for the device but current apple os restrictions are preventing something like that for being developed.

16. kwjohns macrumors 6502a

kwjohns

17. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

Are you kidding? Click the delicious monster link above. And isn't there an app that takes audio recorded with an iphone, uploads it to a server and then the server analyzes it and gives you a list of songs it would most likely be? (I forget the name of the app) How can that be possible but this isnt?!

18. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

Wow. You couldn't be more wrong. This can be accomplished with low cost web cams and software, I've even used my built in isight on my macbook pro.

19. WannaApple? macrumors 6502a

I dont think barcode scanning is available, but I use the free app called Save Benjis. I just type in the name of what Im looking at and it will let me know what other stores are selling it for! Came in useful a few weeks ago when I was buying an expensive espresso maker :) and much easier than searching individual websites.

20. spydr thread starter macrumors 6502

spydr

I am sorry to have misstated - I actually meant "1D" I guess - just vertical lines.
    Yes - what I have in mind is basically a 'delicious monster' - that works for pretty much many things you can see on shelves of Best Buy or Target.

21. Bodah macrumors regular

I haven't seen anything like that for the iPhone, but I know that there was a program from google that won the android developer challenge.

It was called Android Scan
    http://scan.jsharkey.org/

22. severe macrumors 6502a

This app looks interesting, thanks. I often go straight to a bookmarked Amazon, using Safari on the iPhone. I wonder how this compares.

And regarding bar codes... I look forward to one day having the ability to swipe my phone to purchase things, like they do overseas. Not having to pull out my wallet all of the time would be great. This could maybe alleviate having to carry a wallet at all. Maybe just a little cash in the front pocket and the phone.

One can dream that the U.S. will soon have some technologies others have had for a while, including real high speed internet access. ...As soon as they figure a way to make a killing on it.

Edit for video: Cell Phone: The Ring Heard Around the World: Japan

23. polobruce macrumors member

Prove me wrong

I'll pay anyone $10,000 if they can build me a FAST, Always Scans.... 1D let along 2D barcode scanner App..... that I could integrate with my own app.

My company uses barcode scannning A LOT.... I've downloaded all the apps out there and there isn't anything that is FAST and is able to recognize almost any scan.

You have to understand there's a lot involved... lighting, positioning etc... A regular scanner beam can read stuff that isn't head on. it also recognizes the codes within it's own internal scanner engine..

I reallly just don't see it happening.

I've tried other barcode technologies built for camera phones and even they don't work great...

What would be great would be to use a bluetooth scanner. But i don't know if Apple will ever open up the bluetooth on the iphone.

Again... I'm looking myself for a solution so if anyone comes up with something PLEASE let me know.

and I'm serious about paying someone to come up with something!

24. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Er..... I believe when I said "thats a barcode alright"... I was being sarcastic!

The 2D barcodes are really famous in RFID tags mostly stuck to electronic devices in shops and retails!

^^Bruce I safely can say that you're not loosing your 10 grands any time soon!

25. Lisaf2009 macrumors newbie

I am new in this forum. I have no more ideas for Barcode scanners.

I come across found very nice website. In which you can find every information on Barcode Scanners.

Thanks
    Lisa