2G > 3G Upgrade + Old IPhone Handoff

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HiRez, Jul 7, 2008.

1. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Hi, looking to buy a new 3G iPhone next week but I'm still very confused as to the procedures involved and I need some help figuring out how to go about it without getting screwed (Hello, Apple? Why does this need to be so complicated?) Here's what I'm trying to accomplish:

1. I currently have a (non-jailbroken) 2G US iPhone. I want to upgrade this to a 3G iPhone and keep the same basic plan, understanding I will have to pay an additional $10 per month for data (and I guess I lose the 200 SMS a month too, right? Dear AT&T, you suck wet donkey ---- and I passionately hate you).

2. I want to give my old 2G iPhone to my girlfriend. She does not currently have an AT&T account and would need to transfer from T-Mobile, and keep her phone number. Would she have the same contract (reset to 2 years) that I currently have on the 2G?

Basically, I need to know how and in what order I need to do things to make this go smoothly. For example, do I need to go to an Apple Store or an AT&T Store, or both? Can they do it all together or do I need to transfer to the new phone separately? Am I going to end up paying an "unsubsidized" rate somehow? Thanks in advance if you can help!

2. tritonj macrumors 6502a

here is what you need to do, best would be to do both transactions on the same visit to the store, but sometimes you can't, either way this is what needs to happen

1. go and upgrade to your 3G iPhone
    2. have your girlfriend sign up with the old one and ask ATT to port the number, they will probably need some information like account number and such from the tmobile account

that should be all that needs to be done, should be painless if you have a good salesman at the store.

3. VideoShooter macrumors regular

This doesn't add anything to your thread - my apologies. But because of the concern above and some other little issues... I've decided to hold off on upgrading until the weekend at least ;)

4. thor79 macrumors 6502

thor79

Go to an AT&T store to make it go smoothly.

Get your new iPhone, and get all signed up and coverted over to that. Your old iPhone will be service-less at that time. Give that to your girlfriend and have her talk to AT&T and port her number over. She should be signed up on the traditional 2G iPhone plan. You can do this all at the same time but I would get your's completely taken care of before you even start porting her number for the old iPhone. Handle it as two separate transactions and it will go as smooth as possible.

5. dave006 Contributor

dave006

You can do everything in the AT&T store and the rep will even get credit for the activation of your GFs plan.

Purchase your iPhone 3G and as long as your current rate plan is available in your market, then the net is that you are changing from the $20 data plan to the $30 data plan. You get to decide on the TXT package.

Your GF will need to setup a new account and port her number, if you want her to be responsible for the account. She can do this via iTunes or in the AT&T store. Yes, this will create a new 2-year commitment.

Here is a document that provides some good information concerning your questions about how the hand down to your GF would work.

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/specials/en/Transfer_Contacts.pdf