2G (8GB) iPhone with blank black screen.

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by tegraphile, Jan 10, 2010.

1. tegraphile macrumors newbie

Woke up this morning and hit the home button on my iPhone, only to have the screen flicker white and then turn off. I tried pressing the home and sleep buttons, with no luck. In the fist five minutes, the screen flickered white 3 times but then proceeded to a dark screen and has not turned on since.

I have attempted soft and hard resets like some other users, but the screen is still blank. I even put the phone into recovery mode and attempted to get it running with iTunes. I re-installed 3.1.2, but no luck. The sleep button is pretty iffy, and requires you to hold it down in certain positions to get it to work, so it has been hit or miss to get the phone into recovery mode.

Two weeks ago, I reformatted the phone, updated to 3.1.2, jailbroke and unlocked the phone with blackra1n, with no problems in functionality.

I also tried re-installing from a backup. I get vibration notifications in conjunctions with emails (since I see them on my laptop at the same time as the vibration), so I know there is some functionality, I just can't see anything. There is no passcode on the phone either.

My guess is the LCD went out since resets and recoveries have not been able to bring anything back on the screen. I'm about to order a new screen, I just wanted to confirm that I'm taking the proper next step. Anyone have similar problems?

Any help is appreciated.

2. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

A new screen is what you need.
    Are you sure you don't want to upgrade though? The screen's gonna cost you around a hundred, and a 3G is also 100.

3. tegraphile thread starter macrumors newbie

That is what I figured, thanks for the confirmation.

I was considering it, but I'm studying overseas right now so I''m going to wait until I move back to the states (and hopefully the 4G will be out) before I invest in a new one. There is no 3G network out here, so an EDGE capable phone is all I really need.

4. Aguazul macrumors newbie

iPhone white screen

I have had this problem for a few days now. Looking around in different forums I found no long term solution, just temporary fixes that would bring the phone back to work but the white screen will show again after some use.

Since I thought my phone became or was about to become a "brick" I decided to do a back up in case I had to get a new phone. While doing this a software update message for the phone showed up, it included a fix for a bug that caused the iPhone to not wake up from the standby mode. I updated the software and the white screen seems tobe fixed for good.

After revising several forums I could't find a common reason for the white screen so I figured it had to be a software bug.

Hope this helps

5. tegraphile thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice. I put it into iTunes right now, but it says the software is up to date. Plus, if I could even see the phone going into recovery mode (with the iTunes logo and USB cable), I would consider that I could salvage the screen, but I still don't get anything on there.