2G data plan to new 3GS

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nickhenry, Jun 22, 2009.

1. nickhenry macrumors newbie

I have an original 2G iPhone. Of course I have the $20 data plan with 200 text messages. Where I am located we have no 3G service, and I rarely use the edge data. I do however use the text message feature. Is there any way I can stay on this data plan and upgrade to the new 3GS phone? It would be crazy for me to pay an extra $15 a month for features I can't receive in my area, or I don't use.
    Any insight would be helpful.
    :apple:Thanks:apple:

2. williamgallas10 macrumors regular

You know you cant. If you do not want to pay extra, then stay with the 2g iphone.

3. dave006 macrumors 68020

From a pure technical point of view it will work just fine. AT&T will know the device you are using, since it self-reports it's IMEI everytime it connects.

There is a sticky thread at the top of the forum that may be of interest to you.

Dave

4. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Obviously $15 extra per month isn't worth it if you can't take advantage of 3G, so stick with your 1st gen for the time being.

5. nickhenry thread starter macrumors newbie

really that's your answer, for me to move. what was the point of you to even hitting they reply button?

6. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Welcome to MacRumors, where the questions that are answered with a simple search are replied to with stupid answers.

7. aethelbert macrumors 601

Yes, but you have to pay full price for the phone.

8. nickhenry thread starter macrumors newbie

well I apologize. I did try to do a search but was unsuccessful in finding an answer.

9. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

I'm not condemning you, just warning. ;)

10. eldy macrumors 6502