Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nickhenry

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
I have an original 2G iPhone. Of course I have the $20 data plan with 200 text messages. Where I am located we have no 3G service, and I rarely use the edge data. I do however use the text message feature. Is there any way I can stay on this data plan and upgrade to the new 3GS phone? It would be crazy for me to pay an extra $15 a month for features I can't receive in my area, or I don't use.
Any insight would be helpful.
:apple:Thanks:apple:

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
From a pure technical point of view it will work just fine. AT&T will know the device you are using, since it self-reports it's IMEI everytime it connects.

There is a sticky thread at the top of the forum that may be of interest to you.

Dave

geoffreak

macrumors 68020
Feb 8, 2008
really that's your answer, for me to move. what was the point of you to even hitting they reply button?

Welcome to MacRumors, where the questions that are answered with a simple search are replied to with stupid answers.

nickhenry

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
Welcome to MacRumors, where the questions that are answered with a simple search are replied to with stupid answers.

well I apologize. I did try to do a search but was unsuccessful in finding an answer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.