2G iphone, can u explain how it's google maps usage is different from 3G iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bonds79, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Bonds79 macrumors 6502

2G iphone, can u explain how it's google maps usage is different from 3G iphone?
    I might buy a used 2G iphone for cheap but i use google maps alot, how is the funtionality different for the 3G iphone. With the new 2.2 software, in google maps , does the 2G iphone have the little blue-ish tracking ball that locates your position on google maps? I saw this on a friend 3G iphone , does to 2G do this also?:):apple:
    How does the 2G iphone google map functionality differ from the 3G iphone?

2. Bonds79 thread starter macrumors 6502

So on the 2G iphone with 2.2 software you just get a big wide circle that will not locate actually where you are?:confused:

3. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Right. The first iPhone locates cell phone towers and makes a guess at where you are.

It's good enough to find the nearest starbucks, but it can't tell you exactly what street you're on.

4. jayenh macrumors 6502a

This.

it will triangulate your position, but its using your phone signal and will be a lot less accurate. your general location will be correct, but it'll be within a few hundred meters rather than pinpointing you to within just a couple like GPS does.