2g iPhone in Hong Kong

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by heatguts58, Feb 27, 2009.

1. heatguts58 macrumors member

Does the EDGE network work in Hong Kong? I might be moving there in the fall.

2. Theaser macrumors 6502

Theaser

I'm pretty sure Hong Kong is more advanced than that now, but I think it's still up. They are planning to install a 4G network and completely dismantle the EDGE network.

3. polishmacuser macrumors 6502a

polishmacuser

they dont even have a edge network there i believe so basically you have a brick if you try to use your first gen phone there. They only use hsdpa over there. sorry though look into a cheap 3g phone that you can buy unlocked or buy a 3g iphone over there, it can be unlocked over there too

4. ttt123 macrumors newbie

Edge in HK

Edge/GPRS is available in HK. Have been using it on Peoples, and other people have used it on other service providers. As far as I know, all the service providers still provide Edge as a fallback. Even on THREE, which is the authorized 3G iPhone seller in HK, when I shut 3G off, I am still able to get connectivity via GPRS. As far as what the long term plans are, I do not know. But I would guess that the operators will not disable Edge/GPRS until there is no longer a requirement for it, which means that all users will no longer be using devices that need GPRS, and they will all have paid for 3G dataplans. And I can assure you that we are not there yet.

5. ttt123 macrumors newbie

2G iPhone in HK

And to be more specific, 2G iPhones are in widespread use in HK.

6. FilipH macrumors regular

I was with 3 in Hong Kong and used their 3G networks. When there was bad reception, it went to Edge indeed. Definitly 100% available. But i'd suggest you to buy a 3G there. The price is quite right over there.

http://www.three.com.hk (select English option). And on the HK apple site you can buy the iphone 3g unlocked ...

7. Minus Human macrumors member

Minus Human

They're talkin' 'bout Hong Kong here, not warsaw :cool:

1. HK has an EDGE network
    2. First Gens are widespread
    3. HK's iPhones are FACTORY UNLOCKED

8. citizenwp macrumors newbie

citizenwp

Maybe you will feel it is sold so cheap in Hongkong and purchase several when u r return.:D

9. meowJING macrumors newbie

10. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Anyone knows if you can get Edge/GPRS on a prepaid card? If so, which carrier, and what was the rate of prepaid data there?

11. skis macrumors newbie

YES, the carrier "3" is bad in 3G reception.
    NO! while carrier "3" no 3G coverage, it went to GPRS , not EDGE!!

EDGE is different from GPRS. EDGE is way faster than GPRS.

I knew carrier "People" do provide EDGE. You have to research more.