Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macdim

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2007
Canada
Hi everyone,
I know all the rage right now is the 3G iPhone, but I need some information about unlocking the 2G iPhone and all the information on the net is watered down and scattered. I just purchased a used 2G iPhone that has been pre-unlocked. It is one of the original iPhones to have shipped, I believe. It is a week 25 iPhone. I'm very confused as to how I'm going to be able to upgrade to 2.0 firmware once it is released. Do I have to know how the iPhone was originally unlocked? Being that its original firmware was 1.0.0, is it safe for me to restore the phone using a firmware image other than that?

Thanks for your help!

tjespo22

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2007
Staten Island NY
i would just restore your phone, then upgrade then use pwnage tool to unlock it. pwnage tool is a sticky in this section at the top, its not hard to do, it might look it at first but its not. theres a youtube tutorial so its not bad.

message me if u got any questions
tom

svtguy08

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2008
CA
I second on what tjespo22 said. With the different methods out there, it couldn't be any easier! Good Luck and have fun!

You can still run 1.0.0 but I would at least upgrade to 1.1.3.

macdim

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2007
Canada
Thanks for your replies,

the phone is indeed running 1.1.4 right now. My question is do I need to know which method was used to unlock it in the first place to know what I can do with it in the future? Everything on the phone works perfectly save for the installer.app . I kind of feel like restoring it right now and re-unlocking it myself to be sure that I know how it was done, just for some peace of mind. I see a lot of information about OOTB 1.0.2 and 1.1.3 phones, but nothing about the phones that came with the first firmware. When the 1.0 phones were updated to 1.1.3 or 1.1.4, did the bootloader get updated as well? What are the implications of this and how I will be able to restore the phone?

I really appreciate your help on this.

Mac

PowerFullMac

macrumors 601
Oct 16, 2006
Thanks for your replies,

the phone is indeed running 1.1.4 right now. My question is do I need to know which method was used to unlock it in the first place to know what I can do with it in the future? Everything on the phone works perfectly save for the installer.app . I kind of feel like restoring it right now and re-unlocking it myself to be sure that I know how it was done, just for some peace of mind. I see a lot of information about OOTB 1.0.2 and 1.1.3 phones, but nothing about the phones that came with the first firmware. When the 1.0 phones were updated to 1.1.3 or 1.1.4, did the bootloader get updated as well? What are the implications of this and how I will be able to restore the phone?

I really appreciate your help on this.

Mac

The bootloader wont get changed or messed with or anything unless you restore, updating leaves it alone.

If the phone was been unlocked with the Pwnage Tool, unlocking SHOULDNT re-lock it, but you will need to pwn the firmware first. You will need to wait until the final firmware 2.0 comes out to find out if it will need more work to get it hacked or not.

macdim

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2007
Canada
Alright so is it safe to restore my iPhone to 1.1.4 using iTunes and then re-unlock it using Pwnage Tool or iLiberty? I just want to go through the motions to get a better understanding.

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.