2G iphone will not fetch email - only shows on restart. Help please

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lindsayanng, Aug 18, 2008.

1. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

My husband's iphone has been acting strange today, and we can not figure out what the issue is, and i have not seen an issue like this posted.
    Anyways, his phone will NOT fetch email, even when he tries to do it manually. The phone settings do not change this. He can have it set to automatic, manual, ect. The ONLY time new mail shows is when he turns it off and back on again.

Are there any suggestions or ideas as to WHY this might not be happening? Any suggestions on how to try to diagnose the issue?

i know ATT is useless when it comes to fixing things, but do they swap phones that are under warranty? Or do you have to go to Apple? Our apple store is an hour away and usually closed when we get home from work.

Thanks in advance for any help.

p.s. i have my own 2G iphone on the same plan using the same network and my phone is having NO issues. All of this calling and internet is working fine for him as well. its just an email issue.

2. spencerlamb macrumors member

spencerlamb

UK 3g sending email

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey since i purchased my Iphone 3g i have never been able to send email when i have 3g reception even when i have full signal, does anyone else have this problem? does anyone know how to resolve this? as soon as i then connect to my home wifi the mail sends straight away. cheers spencer.

3. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

OP: Have you tried swapping SIM cards with him?
    Can he get on the internet and use other data but just not email?
    And have you tried a restore?

Just throwing out a few ideas, if none of those solve it I'd call Apple, not AT&T, and see if they can help. If he can get other data but not email it sounds like there's a software bug that a restore or a settings change might fix. Not getting any data is either a SIM card issue or a hardware one, and that'll be easy to solve if you swap them and see what happens.