Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rlynch1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2009
I just bought a used 2g iphone with no Sim card which is locked to Att. I want to use the phone on my existing att account but do not want the $20 or $30/mo data plan. I have a working Sim card in my Att treo phone that I could use in the iphone if neccessary. If I activate the phone with itunes and Att will I have to get the data plan? Is unlocking a possible solution for me? Thanks!
ron

nickels

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2008
When you activate the iPhone using iTunes you will have to click a button to add the data plan to your account, which is an additional $20 as stated above.

fibrizo

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2009
I just bought a used 2g iphone with no Sim card which is locked to Att. I want to use the phone on my existing att account but do not want the $20 or $30/mo data plan. I have a working Sim card in my Att treo phone that I could use in the iphone if neccessary. If I activate the phone with itunes and Att will I have to get the data plan? Is unlocking a possible solution for me? Thanks!
ron

Jailbreak and hacktivate it. Then pop in your sim. No need to activate via itunes.

CrzySLAM

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2009
iphone 2g jailbreak

I'm somewhat in the same situation. I have an iPhone 2G, but i want native MMS I hate the weblink for MMS, it's stupid and unnecisary. And before anyone says it, I have to wait 230 days before i'm "eligible". Anyways, i'm almost ready to take this jailbreak plunge, just have a few questions.

My big clarification, this is a Restore so all my data would be erased from the device. But would the custom firmwares and iTunes 9, allow for me to recover said data? How well does the iTunes 9 work and interact with the iPhone 2G?

Another clarification... since i'm using the 2G iphone i don't have to use Redsnow or do i? I did watch the iClarified video which made it clear that iPhone 2Gs don't need Redsnow, but i'm also running Windows Vista, so it shouldn't be to different. Or is it?

Last issue. Once jailbroken, are Apple Updates a big no-no or are they still applicable. Cause I would like to get 3.1 again, 3.0 had a vulnerability that Apple patched via 3.1, unless that can be patched via custom firmware.

Any and all suggestions, tips, tricks, regret, would be greatly appreciated.

fox777

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2008
USA
When you activate the iPhone using iTunes you will have to click a button to add the data plan to your account, which is an additional $20 as stated above.

not true. I just activated my 3GS and i dont have data plan on my sim

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
When you use PwnageTool and select Expert Mode, the General section gives you the option to Activate the phone. I don't know about running with no data plan, but I know that my old 2G connects to iTunes without having to do the standard plan selection. I can pop in my 3GS' SIM and the phone & edge works just fine.

After you create your custom ipsw you will do a DFU restore and manually tell iTunes to restore from your custom firmware. After this happens set the device up as a new phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.