2g iPhone won't charge, no warranty - can I exchange?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by swoz, May 12, 2009.

1. swoz macrumors newbie

swoz

I've had this iPhone since it came out and did not buy an extended warranty. It has stopped charging all of a sudden and it isn't the charger because I've tested it using a friend's, my own, and the car charger. My friend told me he took his to the AT&T store a few days ago because he was having the exact same problem and he had a 2G also. I am unsure as to if he had a warranty or not, but he told me that AT&T was shipping him a new iPhone to replace the broken one.

I do not have a warranty. Will AT&T (or should I go to the Apple store?) exchange my iPhone for a new one or will there be a fee? Or will they exchange it at all? It's the only phone I have and I'd have to say I'm very fond of it. If they do exchange it, will it be a 3G?

Thanks.

EDIT:
    I'm sorry, I think I posted this in the wrong section. My bad for not reading the stickies!

2. Maconer macrumors newbie

How can you exchange a device that you bought almost 2 years ago?

3. dave006 macrumors 68020

First your friend gave you bad information. AT&T does not service or provide warranty service for the original iPhone or the iPhone 3G. Apple is your proper choice. Apple will replace the battery for $89 but you have to ship it to them for the replacement. Apple will also allow you to do an Out of Warranty Service for $199 to get a refurbished original iPhone in exchange for your current iPhone.

Dave

4. Merkie macrumors 68020

5. Ride9650 macrumors 6502

yea, doubtful you'll get a free replacement,
    and they would likely exchange it with another 1st gen,
    bought a semi-broken 1st gen a few weeks ago, and they replaced it wth another 1.

6. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

You have a 2 year old phone out of warranty and you expect Apple to replace it for free and give you a new 3G? Good luck with that, let us know how it works out.