2G iPhone's mic is seriously crap

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by daneoni, Aug 30, 2008.

1. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

So lately i've been hearing people complain that they can't hear me and that the 'line is really bad' even though i can hear them clearly. So i decided to investigate the mic since that would be the probable cause. To do this i compared the phone with my old Treo 680.

I gave the 680 to my brother to act as the call recipient and when i called he said my voice was patchy and low and barely audible. I had to literally move the phone away from my ear and point the mic directly to my mouth before things got better

I then switched the phones and gave my brother the iPhone and i used the Treo to call and he said the call quality was miles better and he could hear me loud and clear

I admit i hadnt noticed this earlier because i'm a heavy txter and rarely make calls.

So is this a common issue or is my phone just defective? and is the 3G model's mic better?

2. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

some have had success POKING WHOLES within the speaker, not sure about the mic so yea..

i haven't compared because i dont have 1st gen, just the 3G and i really like the mic on it.

3. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

That would make it vulnerable to dust clog would it?

4. calculus Guest

calculus

Poking halves is probably enough ;)