2G iPod Touch Bluetooth service?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by KrakaJap, Jan 10, 2009.

1. KrakaJap macrumors member

After downloading the "Free Memory" app for the iPod Touch I noticed a running service called BTServer. Does this mean the iPod touch will obtain bluetooth support in a future software update? Or is this service specifically for the Nike+iPod feature (as this is the only thing I can think of that communicates with the iPod via non-internet/ad-hoc wireless)?

2. ThunderBull4 macrumors 6502

3. KrakaJap thread starter macrumors member

4. Liamf555 macrumors member

Liamf555

5. KrakaJap thread starter macrumors member

Same frequency and base chipset though... so there's potential right? :) haha

6. saberahul macrumors 68040

Is there potential? I would have said yes but I'd say no today as Apple has missed out on many things such as copy/paste, background apps... so I won't be looking forward to bluetooth support for another couple years- but again that is me... I really cannot speak for Apple.

7. kingtorm macrumors newbie

kingtorm

maybe someone can make an app when the jailbreak comes out

8. NathanA macrumors 6502a

Yes; my guess is that, as speculated, Apple is using a Bluetooth chip to do the Nike+ stuff and is simply not exposing the Bluetooth functionality of the chip to users (which makes sense, I guess...the ONLY thing the Bluetooth is used for on the iPhone is cellular calls; you can't even use it as a wireless microphone for microphone-enabled apps, so given these limitations in iPhone, there wouldn't be ANYTHING that the Bluetooth could be used for in the iPod Touch running the same software, considering there is no cellular modem in the Touch).

SO, if the 2G ever happens to be jailbroken (which, who knows if that will ever happen), then some enterprising person will surely find a way to enable other Bluetooth-y uses for the Nike+ Bluetooth chip, which would make the 2G Touch a very killer device if that ever does end up happening.

(Right now, I really feel that the 1G has the edge simply because it can be jailbroken. I won't buy a 2G unless it is ever "liberated." :) )

-- Nathan

9. KrakaJap thread starter macrumors member

I honestly don't really see a reason anymore to jailbreak the iPod... a lot of really good apps are available for free on the appstore. Granted there are quite a few "extras" that would be nice that Apple isn't allowing developers to distribute but I also think the jailbreaking process needs to be looked at in a different way now. For example... instead of trying to "jailbreak" the iPod so that a custom app manager and software can be installed... why not try to "jailbreak" iTunes into allowing custom applications to be installed the way they were meant to be installed (disregarding the app security key thing). :)

Anyway... I'm perfectly happy without a jailbroken iPod now. It was getting rather old holding back on a software update in anticipation of an updated jailbreak release. lol To each his/her own I guess.

10. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Last year I connected my first-gen Touch to a Windows machine and it tried to install drivers for a Bluetooth device. I never actually tried to access the Bluetooth though (I don't even know how in Windows!)

11. KrakaJap thread starter macrumors member

The only thing I really miss is a web server and php. :) I built a page that parsed all my music and gave a listing (from the ID3 tags) that people near my office could browse, download, play, etc. There are only a couple other people near my office so it was actually rather speedy and they enjoyed it. :cool:

12. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Yes, I would suppose it has potential.
    But don't expect it to happen until September '09.
    That is, if they release the other important features it's lacking.

13. NathanA macrumors 6502a

Sigh. I've been over this once before already. Take away the jailbreak, and you take away 50% of the reasons that this device is currently useful to me.

I'm not a child who is content with being restricted to a sandbox, Apple...I'm a grown man who wants to roam the beaches.

Okay, you obviously don't understand how this works. The enforcement of the "security key" as you call it is not done by iTunes, it's done by the Phone/Touch firmware. iTunes, frankly, couldn't give a crap whether your app bundle is properly signed and encrypted or not. That's why in order to install cracked apps (not that I am advocating such action, mind you), you have to patch up MobileInstaller on the Touch, and don't have to do jack-squat to iTunes itself. And Apple specifically engineered it this way because software that's running on a computer you control (iTunes) is easier to hack apart than software on a closed piece of hardware that only they control (iPhone/iPod), and they being highly-skilled engineers know this fact. If iTunes were the gateway to running whatever software on the iPhone/iPod that you wanted to run, it would have been hacked to do so not more than a week from the release of the "App Store"-aware version.

And the MobileInstaller patch (since it invalidates the Apple signature on their own code, it having been tampered with) is impossible to undertake without patching up the kernel to allow unsigned code to run; ergo, jailbreak.

On "pwned" hardware such as the iPhone (EDGE), iPod Touch (1G), and iPhone 3G, those days of waiting that you refer to are completely over with. The bug/vulnerability in the boot ROM of every single Apple Touch device that has been shipped to-date (with the exception of iPod Touch 2G) cannot be patched around in the field, and so is not fixable by Apple, except when they ship a completely new product like the 2G Touch and thus have the luxury of going back to the drawing board. This is why PwnageTool has been able to consistently release updates to itself which support the latest OS release not more than 48 hours after Apple has let it out of the gates, and Apple can do nothing about it since the bug that was discovered which makes this possible is at the hardware/silicon level.

-- Nathan

14. KrakaJap thread starter macrumors member

You're right... I don't know how the whole process works nor do I care. :) But my point is that the entire concept of jailbreaking is subjective. For people like yourself it's more than worth it for that 50%. For people like me... almost everything I "might" have used on a jailbroken iPod, I can now get for free via the app store (or for 99 cents).

Don't get me wrong though... free is definitely nice but if a developer wants compensation for their work and their idea of compensation is something I'm willing to pay and their work is worth it (in my opinion), then by all means I'm willing to give them this compensation. Apple took a major leap with the app store while retaining "security" with installing applications and this has been of great benefit to both Apple and all the developers (statistically). I don't consider myself a child content in my Apple sandbox because (for the most part) it does everything I want it to do. Again this being entirely subjective.

This 50% you speak of could very easily be applied to millions of other devices from DVD players to Microwave ovens. :)

15. NathanA macrumors 6502a

Me too; I'm no software pirate and I agree with compensation for a job well done. I've purchased iPhone apps through the App Store AND outside of the App Store. This talk of free apps being the be-all-end-all reason to jailbreak is a red herring argument, though.

I don't jailbreak because I get free apps. Heck, many of the more useful jailbreak apps for the iPhone itself AREN'T FREE, such as PDANet ($10), IntelliScreen ($20), and SwirlyMMS ($8).

I jailbreak because I want freedom, not because I want free crap. Freedom to do whatever I want with the device that I bought with my hard-earned money and that I now own. It's my property now, not Apple's.

And you can bet that most of the things that I can do with a jailbroken iPhone or iPod Touch are things that Apple would never allow see the light of day on the App Store. So it's not a matter of having a bunch of $0 apps to use, it's a matter of what apps the Apple nanny allows me to use.

-- Nathan

16. KrakaJap thread starter macrumors member

I guess that's how I feel about cell phones... my very first cell phone that had a camera built in was worthless because Verizon wanted to charge me to download my OWN pictures. :) LOL Sh*t like that is very lame! And a lot of these new "smart" phones that require a data plan is absolutely absurd. Then of course you have Verizon's proprietary OS and browser on top of Windows Mobile 6 which basically kills a WM6 device. :p

17. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I fully agree. I find it appalling that Apple can say "no, you can't run this software on your own phone" (or in my case iPod). At present all the functionality that I need is available without jailbreaking, but I've done it before and will do it again if I want to.