2G + Pool = Partially working touchscreen?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tronic, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Tronic macrumors 6502

Tronic

So my friend just dropped her 2G into the pool by accident. She tried to turn it off but it just kept rebooting. That was about 4 hours ago. Just got off work and went to check it out. It will now turn off and on but when i slide to unlock, the slider doesnt move at all. When I try to turn it off though, the "Slide to power off" works fine. It can still receive calls so im still holding out some hope. The phone is now off, what I recommended she do right when it happened. We will check its health tomorrow. Could maybe a restore bring touch screen functionality back or is it dead? I have never heard of a partially working touch screen, anyone else?

Thanks.

2. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You shouldn't have been turning it off and on. That is the worst thing you can do (besides trying to charge it). Stick in a bowl of rice and let it sit for a FEW DAYS. It's better to leave it too long then not enough. I'd suggest at least 2 if not 3. Good luck, you'll need it to not have this

single-brick.jpg

4. Tronic thread starter macrumors 6502

Tronic

we didnt turn it off and on, when i got there it was on because when they tried to turn it off earlier it would reboot. then we turned it off once

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

okay, but your previous post said it kept "rebooting". That sounded like off and on. Anyway, doesn't matter now, it's off. Try the rice. No guarantees.

6. Tronic thread starter macrumors 6502

Tronic

Yeah, it did reboot a couple times bc they tried to turn it off and it rebooted and then they tried again and it rebooted. They just left it there until i got there and then I turned it off. I have no idea why it worked for me.

Turning it off and keeping it off and blowing drying it was my first suggestion.

My main question is, can a restore fix a touch screen that only partially works?

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

NO BLOW DRYING! Supposedly that's not good, but I'm going by hearsay.

Are you talking about the touch screen on this water-damaged iPhone?

8. Tronic thread starter macrumors 6502

Tronic

Blow drying works fine, Ive used and suggested it multiple times in the past with always good results. Besides we have blow dryers that can blow cool air as well as hot.