2G Time Capsule - Finally Toast?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by puma1552, Jan 4, 2016.

1. puma1552, Jan 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2016

puma1552 macrumors 601

I have a 2nd gen TC, but one that came after those known to be affected with short lived power supplies, at least based on the serial number.

All of a sudden it just died completely 20 minutes ago. Lost wifi on my iPad, looked at my TC and sure enough the light was out. It's non-existent in Airport Utility, can't reset it, can't get the drive to spin up, nothing. Totally dead. Ethernet works when the cable is plugged directly into my computer, so the internet isn't the problem.

Sound like the power supply finally bit it? Apparently there isn't a genius bar appt to be found whatsoever for a few days at least.

Also - although this TC is circa 2009, I DO have AppleCare on my wife's MBP which is just over 2 years old. I have heard that ANY active Apple Care plan will cover the TC since you can't buy AC for the TC, but does that really apply when the computer was bought later on? I do remember calling AC once when I couldn't get the TC set up in my new house back in May and the Apple guy did mention something about the fact my wife's machine has AC, but then we got the TC set up and working. Is there a chance this 2009 Time Capsule will be covered by MBP AppleCare purchased with a 2013 machine?? I DID replace the drive in the Time Capsule a couple years back when that died, not sure if this will affect getting a covered replacement.

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

@puma1552 The general rule that Apple goes by is that the AirPort must have been purchased up to two years prior to the purchase of device which the AppleCare agreement is on.

3. puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601

Bummer - that is also what I've been seeing the last day or so in my searches. Can't say I'd expect them to cover a 6 or 7 year old TC. I have an appointment tonight so I'll see what they say. Normally I shy away from refurbs but the refurb store actually has a current 2TB model for just $180, which is 40% less than a new one...I've never seen refurb deals that good in the Apple store. Only downside is I'd have to wait a few days to get it...I'll probably spend the entire work day debating whether to just get a new one at the store tonight or get that refurb when Apple inevitably tells me the power supply is toast (I'm assuming it cannot be repaired).

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

@puma1552 I have purchased many Apple refurbished products and the only difference you can tell is the fact that it comes in a plain white box. The warranties are identical to a new product and the savings are remarkable. A good tip you should know is that the newest AirPort Extreme supports Time Machine to USB hard drives, so you could go with that option if you would like instead!

5. puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601

Thanks, they did tell me the power supply was toast and also that Apple no longer services the 2nd gen at all, so the only option was to buy new.

I went ahead and ordered the refurbished one for $180, should be here tomorrow. It will be nice to have ac wireless capability now, as my wife's late 2013 MBP and my iPad Air 2 will be able to take advantage (though her iPad mini 2 and my mid-2010 MBP are too old to take advantage).

It's amazing how much you miss your wifi when it's gone, it's pretty painful with just our phones and my MBP right now (wife's machine is a retina and I guess I never bought an ethernet adapter when I bought her that computer). Can't wait to get back up and running.

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Even wireless N clients have been shown to have improved performance with the AC compatible models.

7. puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601

Got the new guy up and running, works well and no regrets going refurbished for a 40% savings. I like the form factor more than I thought too and like that it isn't shiny on the top so it won't scratch from dusting it like the old one did. I've generally stopped caring about my mid-2010 MBP but setting this up prompted me to find motivation to upgrade to El Capitan, clean out/organize all my photos, and basically go through the computer and bring everything up to date and clean everything out before doing the first backup, which it is doing now. I have it wired in with the ethernet cable for my first backup and for a 73 gig initial backup, it's putting the time at right around one hour, so it should be done and back on track before I head to bed tonight.

It's nice not feeling like my router is a time bomb. I had replaced the drive in the old one a year and a half ago, gambling that the machine would last a while, which it did. I had it since 2008/2009 so I can't complain, it served me well.

8. ColdCase macrumors 68030

Yeah I'm on my third hard drive for my vintage TC. Just can't seem to get myself to pitch it. I have the rubber off the bottom with a few more cooling holes drilled in the metal base and have it sitting on a USB powered cooling base. I only use it for for a TM destination via ethernet cable, however. Wouldn't want to depend on it as my internet router. :)

9. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

That is exactly why I prefer the AirPort Extreme with a USB hard drive since it supports Time Machine now.

10. puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601

This one is also much quieter when doing backups and doesn't seem to vibrate at all...my other one wasn't too bad either, but you could tell when it the drive was spinning up...this one, not so much.

I feel like this one was waaaay easier to set up too, in regards to the router portion. I swear the last one was a huge PITA to set up the router portion, but this one was up and running within about 3-5 minutes from when I plugged it in. Plugged it in, power cycled my router, set a network name and password, done. Very, very happy with it. A worthwhile upgrade IMO.